A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've searched through many threads on the forum, but there seems to be a lot of disagreement and lack of a clear, organized explanation of all of the differences between the B16, Altima and Rogue plenums...

I'd like for this to be the thread that puts an end to that. I believe that there are differences in runner lengths, plenum volumes, inlet angles, etc. I'd like to clear up what's what and which plenum is best suited for which application(s).

I will update this post with the information that is gathered in this thread so that it can be easily found.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Compiled information:

Altima Plenum: angled inlet, significant gains over stock B15 intake manifold, primary plenum used in the first run of 2J-R Plenum kits

B16 Plenum: straight inlet, most mid-range gains, best option for turbo, primary plenum used in the second run of 2J-R Plenum kits

Rogue Plenum: straight inlet, most top end gains, best option for high comp, biggest plenum volume, was never offered as an option directly from 2J-R as far as I know

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Barry. Any idea how it compares to the other options?

·
The Wheel Ninja
2,113 Posts
I remember putting a thread together for the "xcessive" brand manufacture to see if anyone has interest in a high hp high flow intake mani for under 500 and it was pretty quiet....

·
Super Moderator
5,078 Posts
As I already have the Altima plenum(I believe), I was going to locate the other 2 and mess with them. I Can't remember which one had the larger plenum but I believe it was the Rouge. I never paid attention to the runners on any of them due to images.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I remember putting a thread together for the "xcessive" brand manufacture to see if anyone has interest in a high hp high flow intake mani for under 500 and it was pretty quiet....
I remember it but, wasn't someone supposed to get more info on it??? :thinking:

·
Registered
458 Posts
This is the b16 spec v plenum. Has the straight tb position.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So far, we've gathered that the Altima plenum is angled at the mouth and the B16 Spec V plenum is straight at the mouth. I was already pretty positive of those two things.

Does anybody know for certain if the Rogue plenum is straight or angled at the mouth?

that looks to have the largest plenum

the spec v's straighter approach is easier on CAI fitment
and from what i heard makes the most power

the rouge i believe has the smallest plenum
and the most instant response down low

imo
@yogi b Is that information based on personal experience or Joe's experience or is it your best guess?

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
i hate to admit it it
but

joe actually went over this with me, years ago
and i can't remember what he said

i believe he settled on the spec v as the overall best one

he used the rouge on several projects one with turbo
but damn can't remember a word of it

he still has mine on his race car
lol
at least the last time i saw it

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
as an aside

be aware if using the stock block unsleeved
even with forged rotating parts

put the right intake combo together with 16lb boost
and you can easily exceed the tq/hp capacity of the block

by a lot

one ride in joe's [i'll call] 550hp motored beast
which seems effortlessly achieved

and as streetable as mine
will convince you

mine with no plenum, no 3" down pipe
detuned to very heavy use levels [think truck engine]
still put out 330 ft lbs of tq

think about it
now it's easy to exceed 400hp

with a crate engine and stock turbo kit
lol

my, how the times have changed

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Would love to see that, Barry.

Just got off the phone with 2J. I didn't get a lot of information, but I was told that the B16 and Rogue plenums are both straight at the inlet and that the Altima plenum is angled toward the firewall at the inlet.

I was also told that the Rogue plenum is better for top end power and that the B16 plenum is better for mid-range power.

Finally, I was told that the B16 plenum is better for boost. The Altima plenum was not considered in this comparison, due to my disinterest, as a result of the angled inlet.

Anyone with additional questions is welcome to call 2J and get answers and share them with us on here.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I updated the original post. Thanks to everyone who has contributed thus far. I encourage people to keep contributing.

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
Would love to see that, Barry.

Just got off the phone with 2J. I didn't get a lot of information, but I was told that the B16 and Rogue plenums are both straight at the inlet and that the Altima plenum is angled toward the firewall at the inlet.

I was also told that the Rogue plenum is better for top end power and that the B16 plenum is better for mid-range power.

Finally, I was told that the B16 plenum is better for boost. The Altima plenum was not considered in this comparison, due to my disinterest, as a result of the angled inlet.

Anyone with additional questions is welcome to call 2J and get answers and share them with us on here.
this agrees with my newly jogged memory
the only one bent is the altima

will try to post pics of the orig tonight

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Damn...so the Altima plenum seems to be the least desired one due to the angle huh?? Thats a bummer Im looking at 4 of them on ebay...

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I remember it but, wasn't someone supposed to get more info on it??? :thinking:
Xcessive would be the one to get. Soooo many great numbers coming from their plenum (other cars). Price is amazing, and they'll put whatever TB flange you want.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Xcessive would be the one to get. Soooo many great numbers coming from their plenum (other cars). Price is amazing, and they'll put whatever TB flange you want.
Let's stay on topic here

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Didn't you ask about it...? What I responded to.
Not really bro... I just stated there was supposed to be more info on it in it's thread, I just looked at it too & there's still barely any info on it & nobody has purchased one(for the QR25). Until someone does & reports their findings about it, it's useless info here as we are trying to determine the best options with the updated QR plenums...no hard feelings bro, I'll remove the slap:D

1 - 20 of 67 Posts