A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was pressing this weekend and blew the head gasket. Got water in the oil catch can, and wetness on the front of the block / valve cover right in front of the turbo. I didn't overheat, just shut the car off as soon as the gauge was getting hot.

It's the 11.5:1 High Compression build, non-sleeved, with b16 crank, and h beam rods. Used ARP headstuds, and the thickest Ajusa head gasket.

Pulling the head, and hopefully it's not warped.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
21,695 Posts
So I was pressing this weekend and blew the head gasket. Got water in the oil catch can, and wetness on the front of the block / valve cover right in front of the turbo. I didn't overheat, just shut the car off as soon as the gauge was getting hot.

It's the 11.5:1 High Compression build, non-sleeved, with b16 crank, and h beam rods. Used ARP headstuds, and the thickest Ajusa head gasket.

Pulling the head, and hopefully it's not warped.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
I can only hope it is NOT what happened to me...
10.5-1 pistons on 15psi boost
non sleeved at the time
27607272100_ab61b3fc22_o.jpg 27784063392_795a3c5dae_o.jpg 27808531111_fa9c2ff898_o.jpg 27808556731_c739f74e73_o.jpg

·
Super Moderator
21,695 Posts
Damn, what cause that?!?

It's probably a lifted head, or could be just a gasket. Hopefully it's not warped.

Motor only has about 5k miles on it, lol.
mine was overbored and the cylinders pretty thin, and at around 425 crank HP, really too much for a stock block, and I was told it could possibly happen, all 4 cylinders split in the thinnest part of the wall, that was what prompted me to go sleeved. havent had a problem since at the same hp rating (360 wheel), other than a busted radiator that caused me to overheat and warp the head. all the weak points are taken care of now tho, so 360 wheel is a very modest tune on the engine. same setup has made 600 hp with other cars

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
hopefully just the head

but check the block for very thin cracks at the top between cylinders
can be just one

what kind of power and tq were you making?
hard to go back na after turbo [or in my case vq]
it may never satisfy you

if the head is warped significantly, please discard it

shaving the head enough to save it,
in my experience, causes cam chain problems

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
290HP / 270 TQ. I'm hoping the head is fine. I'm already looking for replacements just in case.
I have a spare one

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
First, water in the catch can is more likely condensation than anything.
And the wetness? Not sure but just a leak? Head gaskets usually are diagnosed in the cylinder. An external leak isn't usually a sign of "failure"

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And the wetness? Not sure but just a leak? Head gaskets usually are diagnosed in the cylinder. An external leak isn't usually a sign of "failure"
The catch can was full of water. when I drained it, and started the car again, it filled instantaneously with water. Not a little bit, like full on. The rad was empty as well. Also, there is water shooting out of the front of the motor where the turbo is, between the head and the block. the little divot where the engine stamping is, also, had water build up. a nice little pool.

·
Super Moderator
21,695 Posts
this is true, and also why everyone needs to get a cheap borescope that works with your phone, just so you can look at the pistons and see if there is any sign of water leakage (clean spots on the tops of the pistons, moisture in the cylinder) Also a radiator pressure test will show if there is any loss of pressure, If there is pressure loss, and nothing is dripping onto the ground, odds are its a head gasket. If no pressure loss, there is some other problem going on.

·
Super Moderator
21,695 Posts
The catch can was full of water. when I drained it, and started the car again, it filled instantaneously with water. Not a little bit, like full on. The rad was empty as well. Also, there is water shooting out of the front of the motor where the turbo is, between the head and the block. the little divot where the engine stamping is, also, had water build up. a nice little pool.
if your catch can is filling that fast, then your block should be full of water as well. have you checked the oil dipstick for moisture, or the oil fill cap?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts