A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, as the title states, i was driving on a particularly rainy day this past weekend and my CAI sucked some water in. enough water to stall it out in the middle of the road. i didnt necessarily drive through a puddle and got the water in all at once, it was a gradual sucking of standing road water and water coming off the front tire (my fender liner ripped out previously, im stupid for driving it like that in heavy rain i know.) any way, the car wasnt under heavy load when it stalled and i was able to drift it into a parking lot. i started it there, and while it was hard to start, it eventually fired up and blew a ton of white smoke, and took turns between idling hard, and idling normally. i removed the cai and drove it back to my friends house where i pulled all the plugs and blew the water out with compression, and just changed my oil to ensure theres no water in there either. the car seems to be running fine but,

HERES THE PROBLEM. when driving now it feels weak. not like it only has 40 hp but still slightly weaker than it had been running. i did a compression test, and all the cylinders hit between 170-180psi so i feel that rules out a bent rod or cracked valve. my friends dad said theres probably a problem with the MAF because i got it wet. so we hooked a data reader up to it and under idle the air mass graph was very jagged, like a heart rate monitor, as opposed to when the car was held at 2000, and 3000 rpm it was a very steady line.
A. is this a normal function of the maf at idle? or is the maf shot?
B. what else could be the reason for the sudden loss of power?

thanks ahead of time for replies, sorry the post is long, just wanted to get all the necessary info.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I would take the maf out and clean it, run some seafoam through your intake and throw some Lucas or some type if fuel system cleaner in the tank and see how that does.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Oh, also, replace your fender liner, buy a bypass valve, and avoid puddles lol

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I heard seafoam is garbage. that iwould be better off pissing in my engine rather than using that stuff

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I never had a problem like this until my fender liner ripped out and I drove through this terrible PA winter. I have new one coming. And ill have to hit up a junkyard. I looked on line, why are our mafs so fucking expensive? $200-400 wtf lol

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've never heard anything bad about seafoam if used properly. Just an idea.

Have you checked rockauto?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
In my opinion having the intake at this length is perfect. Keeps the filter far from the engine while staying away from the bulk of the water.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In my opinion having the intake at this length is perfect. Keeps the filter far from the engine while staying away from the bulk of the water.
yeah, i had to ghetto rig my filter on in somewhat the same fashion with what piping i have with my nismo cai. the battery is in the way of EVERYTHING. i made it work though until i get my new fender liner.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
and

Not sure how far this is from you, but you can check some PA junkyard inventory on this site.

http://www.wegotused.com/?page_id=269&companyName=harrys

And, for MAF, you always want OEM.
why is oem so important? that place isnt close to me unfortunately. im going to have to look around for places near me that might have one. as far as engines go, does it matter if i get a maf from a 1.8 or do i have to stick with one from a 2.5. i cant imagine they would be different, but you never know. im not a nissan engineer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts