A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so about a month ago, I started to get a whining sound from my serpentine belt. Being lazy, I kept putting off looking at the pulleys, and now, well yeah... This morning I started her up and the whine had turned into a much louder groaning noise, with a vibration I could feel in my shifter. I could smell the rubber of the belt burning. So my question is, what is the easiest way for me to figure out which pulley is the problem, and is there the possibility that it is the harmonic balancer on the crank pulley? Does the qr even have a harmonic balancer. Any advice/help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another note, this was not belt squeal I was hearing. It was more subtle than that, lower pitch and quieter. I will post a vid asap to help

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Belt tensioner is probably failing. It's located directly below the water pump. Costs about 40-50 bucks to replace. Check it and quit lagging before the belt snaps and leaves you stranded.

QR doesn't have a harmonic balancer.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks lol I'm not driving it anywhere now that the belt is burning. Not that stupid. Almost, but not quite haha. I'm gonna pull the belt and check each pulley, see if one is seized. Might as well save myself the hassle and cut the belt, since I'm gonna have to replace that anyway.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Thanks lol I'm not driving it anywhere now that the belt is burning. Not that stupid. Almost, but not quite haha. I'm gonna pull the belt and check each pulley, see if one is seized. Might as well save myself the hassle and cut the belt, since I'm gonna have to replace that anyway.
I've heard of the A/C compressor seizing, therefore it's not a bad idea to check for resistance.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update, yeah it's the a/c compressor, completely seized. I don't need a/c this time of the year, or really at all, but from what I have seen, the qr had a/c standard so there is no non-a/c option belt, and there is no bypass belt. From looking at it, I think I will need to replace the whole compressor fml. Thoughts?

·
6,668 Posts
11926-8J00A - bracket
11916-8J00A x 4 - bolts
11927-8J000 - pulley

The last part# is a tricky one. I've been seeing reports that if you order the pulley, it doesn't come with the shaft/spacers. If they don't, just in case here are the part numbers:
11928-8J00B - shaft
11929-5S701 - spacer
11930-5S701 - spacer

·
Registered
9,641 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SO I picked up a compressor from the yard, new belt and tensioner. Now am I gonna have to replace the refrigerant even though i won't be running the ac at all for several months? I figured as long as the clutch isnt engaged at all the pulley should spin just fine, and I will have the system recharged in the spring when I need it.

·
6,668 Posts
Nah you don't need to as long as like you said the compressor doesn't engage. The only thing that the compressor if it will turn is the lube, but as long as it doesn't run you're fine.

·
Registered
257 Posts
^mother of god. I have been looking for an answer as to why my a/c compressor kept cycling when I have the heat on. Never even thought about it being in defrost!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After pulling the belt and looking everything over, the other pulleys look fine and the a/c pulley spins free when not engaged, so I am gonna leave the old compressor on for now. I unplugged it so it won't engage accidentally or with the defroster.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts