A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
SeeBlackRain : Thats Solid advice, thanks

SoundFX : As tight as your ride looks, I wouldnt mind the reduced mpgs!

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
227 Posts
so im sure this is a dumb question, but where is the cat actually located on the spec v. i read that its on the header but then i was told thats just a precat. i need a new header, have a new exhaust, but dont want to throw those 2 items on and lose the cat in misguided ignorance and then fail an emissions test. help please?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
If it's any help for "MPG"s, I know being in Canada we usually go by xL/100 Km.

Before I installed my HotShot on the inner city highways I'd read an average of about 6.6L/100 Km going 80 Km/h for about 11 Km (length of the city lololol) without hitting a red light. I recently hit 5.4L/100 km.

I usually restart the trip odo. when I'm already at cruise speed every time.. So a minor improvement was noticed. When flooring it though.. Eek. Haha.

·
39,069 Posts
so im sure this is a dumb question, but where is the cat actually located on the spec v. i read that its on the header but then i was told thats just a precat. i need a new header, have a new exhaust, but dont want to throw those 2 items on and lose the cat in misguided ignorance and then fail an emissions test. help please?
The pre-cat is located on the header and there is another cat on the mid pipe of the car.

Most people use a high flow cat on the mid pipe and use a non cat aftermarket header.

But keep the stock cat header and mid pipe when you have any visual emission tests so that you can put them on when you do.

·
6,701 Posts
Try having a supercharger in Cali :D

I'm glad I bought the car new, had it for 6 1/2 years and my first smog test isn't til October.
Yea....I was going to do that back when RevAuto was still around and I actually had money, then I thought to myself...no garage to work on...getting married...yea, supercharger was out of the question at that time. I wish I really did though.

·
Registered
569 Posts
i tell my wife i gotta get out of this state. she says why just so you can do what u want to your car? duh....lol

·
39,069 Posts
Honestly, I think that what people do is buy and aftermarket on without the cat but keep the stock and put it on for the emission test for looks.

You do have another cat on the car if they do a sniff test.

·
Registered
227 Posts
yeah i understand that but im NOT going to keep changing parts every year just to pass the look test. thats why i asked if the part i posted would work and not cause the same problem the stock header does. because the way i see it theres 2 solutions to my problem:
1. i buy the nismo header w/ cat for $900 (which i refuse to pay) or the one i just posted
OR
2. headers w/o cat and a high flow on the mid pipe then hope to god my inspection guy doesnt fail it for visual.

·
Registered
227 Posts
i just pulled this from my states inspection site

How is a Visual Anti-Tampering Check performed?
A certified technician will look for the presence of the following emission control devices:
• Catalytic converter,
• Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve,
• Positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve,
• Fuel inlet restrictor,
• Air pump, and
• Evaporative control system components such as vapor canisters and lines.
The certified technician will also determine if these devices are properly connected and
if they are the correct type for the vehicle being inspected. These components may be
original vehicle equipment or an equivalent aftermarket replacement component
meeting the same standards. Only those components (listed above) that were part of
the original certified vehicle configuration are subject to this portion of the inspection. If
a component was not originally on a vehicle at the time of manufacturer, it will pass
inspection without it.
so does this mean as long as i have a cat at all im good?

and no one answered me about the magna flow

·
6,701 Posts
Hmm...only one way to know!

The only thing is that I believe the white sticker under the hood shows 2 TWC (three way cat). If they see only 1, you're going to fail.

·
Registered
569 Posts
u need to see if your state makes you prove that your aftermarket emission parts are C.A.R.B. exempt. if they do then you need the sticker with the state approved number for that part or you will fail the visual. at least that is how ca is.

·
6,701 Posts
Smog techs hate those things. I've talked to a few of them and they said that if even a small hose or the filter media is changed to a different brand or part number, like the color of the filter, etc..it fails. They hate having to check what is supposed to be in the kit.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hmm...only one way to know!

The only thing is that I believe the white sticker under the hood shows 2 TWC (three way cat). If they see only 1, you're going to fail.
thank you. finally an answer. well. since im not paying 900 for a nismo with a cat im going with that magna flow.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Smog techs hate those things. I've talked to a few of them and they said that if even a small hose or the filter media is changed to a different brand or part number, like the color of the filter, etc..it fails. They hate having to check what is supposed to be in the kit.
how much money they make an hour who cares what they hate..lol.. i used to know some making 30+ hour for test only. good money for almost kicking back.

·
6,701 Posts
how much money they make an hour who cares what they hate..lol.. i used to know some making 30+ hour for test only. good money for almost kicking back.
Hey now. I almost had my license, but with Dodge closing up on me I decided to move to a better paying job. :D

Also evan, even if you decided to get a Nismo one, you won't find one since they stopped making them back in 07 or so.

21 - 40 of 96 Posts