A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
glad to hear you went this route. looking forward to results on how well that cat holds up to the crazy rich mixture a QR is given. tune it and i think this is perfect for her
The plan is to take it off every other oil change to see how it's holding up. It takes little to no effort to get the manifold off so there's no excuse NOT to do it. We'll see how it goes.

Joe? Travis? Based on your experience, and looking at the above manifold, what are your thoughts on Magnaflow's design? Any input from you guys would be greatly appreciated by the Sentra community.

I'll call Nissan and see how much a reflash costs.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Add the 2j alternator bracket and that should make checking it even easier. Good luck.
Ordered that yesterday night :)

I got my Magnaflow piece today! Took some comparison pics for you guys to add to the thread's collection.

Hey guis, is my stock manifold fucked? LOLZ

·
Registered
380 Posts
We shall see. The alt bracket should make checking up on it much much easier.

·
Registered
214 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know this threads a little old but it seemed like the most appropriate for what I'm asking. I have an 04 Spec and I've had it for almost 2 years now. It has about 112 000 km's on it. A few months ago it started making a rattling noise when I'm just taking off in first gear at a low rpm. It does it probably a little more when the engine is cold but it doesn't seem to matter too much. I was convinced that the exhaust was just loose somewhere because it kinda sounds like that and that's what an auto repair shop told me. Now I'm thinking that my stock exhaust manifold has blown up, and yes, I was in the process of getting that out of there but obviously I'm new and stupid and have no idea what to do with the O2 sensors once I put a header in. Also the noise seems like it's coming from the engine bay and not along the exhaust piping. Sounds like I waited too long. I'm trying to order a new header asap but for 1. I live in Canada so figuring out duties and taxes is one thing, and 2. I don't know which header to go with. I can't seem to find any hotshots around and everything else looks junk. Any ideas or recommendations is greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought a 2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V. I believe I have stock headers so I was thinking of changing them so I don't blow my engine. It has 148 000 kms and is not burning oil at all, although I think I need to see what it burns over 5000 kms.

So I want a Header to eliminate the pre-cat issue. I'm not looking for performance as I am happy with the car as is.

Will this Header from ebay work? http://www.ebay.ca/itm/161139280026?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I think I want a 4-1 Header because I'm under the impression that I don't have to relocate the 2nd O2 sensor.

Does the 1st O2 sensor just go into the new header? Do I need extensions? Does the 4-1 Header bolt onto the exhaust? Do you just put a bolt into the 2nd bung hole?

Will the new Header affect the engine sound? Will the car pass emmissions with the new Header?

I really prefer to get this job done without welding because then I would have to take it to the shop.

Is there anyone that sells Headers, I seem to only be able to find the ones on ebay.

Also are the butterfly screws accessible when I change the Headers? Or are they located somewhere else?

·
6,535 Posts
Yes that header will work and yes you don't "need" to relocate the 2nd o2 sensor, but you'd still need to put the antifouler trick on it as it's still located in front of the main cat.

The header WILL affect how it sounds. Check this guy's video with a stock midpipe and catback but with a Nismo header: http://www.b15u.com/threads/10386-B15-Exhaust-systems?p=662507&viewfull=1#post662507

There's a few vendors that sell headers. Depends on what you really want to do, just saving the engine or full performance. There's the FIR, 2J header coming slowly in, and you have your run of the mill ebay ones. IMO if you just want to save the engine, that ebay header is fine. As far as emissions, depends on your state/province if they do visual as you will fail as soon as you remove a cat off the exhaust system.

The butterfly screws are in the lower intake manifold not on the exhaust.

·
Registered
227 Posts
i live in pa, and i pass emissions with no cat. the antifouler trick is easy as hell to do, and i havent thrown any codes with it. the car is obd2 so if they dont do a visual inspection youll be fine. im not sure if pa does visuals but i take it to a guy i know and he passes me every time so im not sure if hes ignoring it becuase he knows me or just doesnt look

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Gut the cat! Dont take that chance. I have a catless header and yet to throw a P0420 after 3 months...

·
Registered
380 Posts
DO NOT buy the Magnaflow header in post #63. It started falling apart @ 12k miles.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have magnaflow on my car and it's been 20k already and it still run and sounds great.
If you're talking about their muffler, which I am sure you are, then your post was completely irrelevant bud.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Just felt like taking pics of some of the manifolds I've acquired. Interestingly, it looks like Nissan did change the design of the OEM manifold, as the middle runners merge together as opposed being separate in the earlier design. Don't think it did much good however. lol

One the Nismo's is up for sale and currently pending, will make a FS thread if it doesn't go through. I'm thinking of doing a dyno comparison between Hotshot and Nismo sometime in the future.

IMAG0337.jpg
IMAG0338.jpg
IMAG0340 (1).jpg
IMAG0343.jpg
IMAG0344.jpg

61 - 80 of 96 Posts