A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vehicle is a manual 2005 X-trail. I am in Te Anau NZ.

I have an early (2005) pre 2007 engine that has spit out its thrust bearings damaged the Block and Crank, It would cost too much to repair,and it has only done 100,000 k's.
So I have purchased a later (2009) after 2007 Engine complete, with 235,000 k's. I want to use the later block and crank, with all the early parts. Using a new set of rings and bearings, oil pump, and maybe timing chain.
So will the later block be OK with my flat top pistons?
Will the early Head fit the later block?
Will there be an issue with the late model extra engine mount?
Do I use the late model balance shaft assembly?
Are the timing chains the same?

·
Administrator
7,093 Posts
You will have to use your old block, the new block doesn't bolt in directly. The internals will transfer over just fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that. My origonal old block will cost $1000 to be repaired, so I have put that aside. I have the new engine which I was hoping to use the block from. Is there any reason why the new block cant be fitted to the x-trail?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that information, I see there are differences, the mount situation I think I could get around, so would I be better off installing the whole engine, are bell housing patterns the same?

·
Administrator
7,093 Posts
IIRC bell housing pattern is the same but I can't remember for the upper oil pan

·
Registered
670 Posts
... the mount situation I think I could get around ...
Not sure if you have the same requirements for vehicle modifications in NZ as we do here in AUS but an engine change which requires mount modifications would have to be inspected and approved by a registered vehicle engineering company before you could register it for road use or comprehensive insurance so check with your motor registry (or NZ equivalent).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes would need certifying in NZ. The gen2 has an upper mount that attaches to the head. So I can probably use existing mounts, depending on how the lower one attaches to block. I wonder does anyone know if the heads are interchangeable?

·
Administrator
7,093 Posts
The head are "interchangeable" to the block (lines up with cylinders, oil drains, coolants and mount bolts)but not the timing cover and cam sensor position.

Your efforts would be better spent tracking down a good 1st gen block.

Idid a comparison thread on the different motors (the motor i had was a different spec than the other) and 90%translate to all the 2nd gen QR25DE.

Reactions: Tritton

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thank you guys for your help, Im still undecided wether to try this or not. Is there anywhere I can input my engine serial number to get information about the motor. The gen 2 motor I have is in a 2009 Presage the pulley end engine mounts look very similar.

·
Administrator
7,093 Posts
Between the upper oil pan and the the head... all the same from the front.

Reactions: Tritton
1 - 12 of 12 Posts