A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
121 - 140 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Getting the engine serviced/rebuilt soon due to timing chain stretch causing higher fuel usage and lower power.
With this virus thing it is taking longer to find a place that's open with enough staff to do it.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Well put the Xtrail into the shop to get the engine sorted.
Compression test and leakdown test to see how the pistons and rings are after 200k kms (124k miles).
Also full timing chain, guides and cam phaser replacement, with blockguard and thermoblock intake spacers fitted.
Then it will be a NA run-in before looking at fitting the M90 :cool:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Hammer it straight and throw it back in.
LOLZ

Gonna get just new rods or rods and pistons?
The shop will get me a 2nd-hand rod as a replacement and with the cylinders needing honing after fitting the blockguard they'll fit 20thou oversized pistons and rings.
The cylinders looked and felt nice and smooth with no scoring or marks.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
The rod most likely got bent when I went through a deep water crossing and hydro-locked the engine because of my cold air intake mounted in the wheel well. All my fault for not doing the short ram intake mod to mount the pod filter in the engine bay as I had planned. After removing the spark plugs and turning over the engine to expel the water from the cylinder it ran fine with no noises so nothing was suspected.I have since installed a snorkel so the chance of it happening again is a lot closer to zero :)

·
Super Moderator
6,586 Posts
The rods are stronger then what people think they are... but they are not as strong as other rods.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Well it is going to be a while longer until the Xtrail is back.
Seems the engine rebuilders put a crack in the block to the water jacket where one of the bolts are near cyl #1.
The mechanic shop where I put the car in found it when they started the engine with all fluids in it. So the engine is back out and with the rebuilder.
The rebuilder will probably try to blame the bent rod as the cause, but it didn't leak any water before and has been running with that rod for many years.
Not sure if they will try to weld it or get another block. The mechanic doesn't want it welded.
Either should be at their expense but I'm sure they will try somehow to charge me for something.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Fucking Aye. Wouldn't there be an abundance of blocks from that xtrail there?

I seen my first Xtrail here in AZ. HadMexica plates on it. I wanted to thieve it for giggles

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Should be easy to get another block. The builder has a place interstate he trusts for good used parts which is where he got my replacement rod from.
However, the big thing is that they either have to get another blockguard to fit into any replacement block or somehow undo the welds on the existing and transfer it into the replacement.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Wouldn't it be cheaper just to source another block guard? I've seen em for like 80 dollars american. I have seen another sleeve process that's three to four hundred that I'd trust more than a block guard. Anyways I digress....

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
Usually all OK but lately it just takes longer because of less flights. I'm still waiting for a diff lock from Russia after 6 weeks. Depends on the carrier I guess.

121 - 140 of 154 Posts