A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still kinda new to the B15. Picked this POS up last august and we(me & teammates) have put maybe 150-200 miles of rallyx on the car and fixed a metric fuckload of problems with it. Still have many to sort out. Anyone here rallyx, stage rally, etc? Looking for a few things:

- any changes people have made to increase wheel travel
- best bushings/chassis rebuild parts to handle the stress
- **a skidplate solution**. Our oil pan and exhaust are beat to shit.
- any other tips or tricks

·
Registered
391 Posts
Coilovers would allow you to raise the ride height and increase suspension travel.

I don't think there's a ready made skid plate. But you could probably easily fashion something using a ladder bar. This would give you a mounting point for a skid pan while significantly stiffening up the front of the car

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You mean some sort of rally coilovers? That could possibly work, but I haven't seen any on the shelf for this car. Most coil-overs are going to reduce travel.

When you say ladder bar, do you mean like a LCA tie bar? You have a link to one? I don't really want to deal with anything below the already-low cross-member.

·
Registered
8,810 Posts
This is a 4point brace but won't protect oil pan.
But check out 2j racing they have a bunch of stuff for are cars. Don't know if stuff will be of use to you maybe something like the front splitter.
Btw welcome to the forum

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
You mean some sort of rally coilovers? That could possibly work, but I haven't seen any on the shelf for this car. Most coil-overs are going to reduce travel.

When you say ladder bar, do you mean like a LCA tie bar? You have a link to one? I don't really want to deal with anything below the already-low cross-member.
welcome, good to have a rally guy aboard
they usually are suspension experts, or soon will be.

[DAVE will appreciate your insight on preloading, thats an inside joke, you will soon learn]

to answer one of your questions
not if you use BCs
call them tell them your intended use

they made up a custom set for me
and i find the inverted bc's [think moto-x forks]
have greater travel and stiffen up and help control, the non intended motions of the lca's

i have done, a few, you will laugh,
we call them poker runs

simply raising the coilovers up,
setting the dampening and preload, so i only bottomed out on the largest of the bumps

i used 7 and 8 kg springs and dampers set lightly
just enough to eliminate bounce

still bent two forged aluminum rims
and damaged an LCA
[box them, imo]

recently, just trying to stay with the local wrx's on these rock/pebble infested dirt roads
have holed my [raised] intercooler pipes twice
[in the 6months i have lived in the sticks, ]

skid plates have to be fabricated
and even joe [2j racing] laughed when i suggested he make some for me

there are some rally posters here
very few

you will have to search

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
This is a 4point brace but won't protect oil pan.
But check out 2j racing they have a bunch of stuff for are cars. Don't know if stuff will be of use to you maybe something like the front splitter.
Btw welcome to the forum

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
this and the two point nismo bar lower ground clearance by an inch

imo
a no, no

i would rip them off or dent them easily
and i'm more of a hoonigan than a racer

·
Registered
391 Posts
For rally use your probably going to want to go with Delrin engine/trans mounts and delete the balanceshaft assembly.

Turcite Shift linkage bushings as well.

That is if you haven't done this stuff already and assuming you only use it for rally. It'll be a bit of a buzz box after but it would be worth it if it's dedicated for this purpose.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm highly skeptical BC has anything to offer with more travel than the stock suspension. I did some googling on this site and it appears making Subaru rally parts fit up front is the best option. Not sure what to do with the disaster that is the rear suspension though.

Shift linkage bushings are on the to-do list. Grabbing 3rd at speed has proven to be a problem from time to time.

We have poly engine mounts F & R. The side/upper mounts are just garbage stock mounts with ~215k miles on them though. I don't see any aftermarket replacements for these available.

Need to do poly or aluminum crossmember bushings too, although our crossmember mounts may be too fucked to handle that.

I'm not sure if the balance assembly is in the motor or not. This isn't the original motor, and its been opened up by a hack mechanic and he did some questionable stuff.

·
Super Moderator
21,693 Posts
I'm highly skeptical BC has anything to offer with more travel than the stock suspension. I did some googling on this site and it appears making Subaru rally parts fit up front is the best option. Not sure what to do with the disaster that is the rear suspension though.
might be worth a call, if they offer struts with lowering in mind, they may be able to either build, or have on the shelf, a longer travel strut that will work. You would also need a longer than stock spring as well, I would imagine.
worse they can say is no, they dont have anything you are looking for.

http://www.bcracing-na.com/contact-us/

·
Registered
19,790 Posts

Shift linkage bushings are on the to-do list. Grabbing 3rd at speed has proven to be a problem from time to time.

We have poly engine mounts F & R. The side/upper mounts are just garbage stock mounts with ~215k miles on them though. I don't see any aftermarket replacements for these available.

Need to do poly or aluminum crossmember bushings too, although our crossmember mounts may be too fucked to handle that.

I'm not sure if the balance assembly is in the motor or not. This isn't the original motor, and its been opened up by a hack mechanic and he did some questionable stuff.

i gave the wrong impression perhaps
never meant longer suspension travel than stock

i was commenting on the loss of suspension travel in your comment
these maintain stock suspension travel
and have slightly more travel than the standard BCs

but no more than stock
i have a little over 3" of suspension travel

not really offroad struts

glad you found subaru parts that might fit

gives me fits following them off road
yeah i know, drag cars shouldn't be going off road

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
Grabbing 3rd at speed has proven to be a problem from time to time.

i have learned to hold it in third gear just a moment longer than normal
[rather important shift in the 1/8 mile]

poly or aluminum crossmember bushings too,

for what its worth,
i found these helpful too

crossmember mounts may be too fucked to handle that.

unfortunately a frequently found problem

also imo
check k frame
bent one already

good luck
love to see how you finally set it up

·
Registered
391 Posts
Honestly listen to Yogi, he's probably got the most direct experience with this who is still active on the forum.

I don't know what constitutes a poker run in GA but here in CA we run them in the high desert. We take the family sand rail which is outfitted with Bilstien 9100 series coilovers and an EJ25 engine.

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
what to do with the disaster that is the rear suspension though

yeah,
good luck with that

my soln won't work for you imo
lowers ground clearance

ads no independent action, nor greater suspension travel

works great on a flat RR track
imo

- - - Updated - - -

what to do with the disaster that is the rear suspension though

yeah,
good luck with that

my soln won't work for you imo
lowers ground clearance

adds no independent action, nor greater suspension travel

works great on a flat RR track
imo

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so it had pretty much already been tossed about, rode hard and put away wet?
That's one way of putting it. It had some shady mechanic work as well.

perfect rally car
Kinda, but had we looked harder when we bought it I'd have passed. It has been a constant source of problems :(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts