A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today when i tried to put it into 6th it felt like something blocking it. Like it will go in if i force it and stay in gear but not sure what might the issue be. any ideas?

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I can't tell you exactly what's going on, but I do have some ideas for improvement.
Try changing your Transmission fluid, Redline is some good stuff.
Also for a more drastic change install 2JR Trucite Shifter bushings and 2Js Short Shifter it will make your shifts feel solid, direct. My 6th and Reverse are so easy to get into after the install.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Try putting pressure on the gear shifter (pushing on it towards 6th gear) while SLOWLY letting out the clutch. If you let it out too much with it halfway in gear it will grind but if you do it just right it will allow it to pop into gear. This is how I get in R. If this works for you I would assume this means your 6th gear syncro is shot.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Does it shift better after its been driven a while? I'm thinking viscosity is higher due to the temperature could be part of the issue. When is last time you changed Tran lube?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2k2specv I was thinking about twm short shifter any thoughts? I'll probably switch to redline this summer cause I just had the Trans serviced
06epeed it doesn't move into gear like shifter is stuck just kinda sits there lol
Jon I just had a new clutch and slave put it so they relubed it with new Trans fluid and doesn't get easier
Thanks guys I really appreciate the feedback some one said it could be the bushing after driving think that could be it lol and it's funny this happens after I decided to not sell it lol

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Where did you have it done? Nissan is specific about what is used and its not usually available at lube places. Nissan dealers usually use the correct fluid. After many lube changes over 295,000 miles I have noticed that the correct fluid makes a difference. Especially in temps -20 to 20f

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was a local shop but they know what they are doing they've been building race Trans for 30 years now for the rockford speedway like they are really good

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Could be that the clutch isn't fully disengaging or may need bleeding too. Does clutch disengage close to floor?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
See if it gets better when it warms up and ask them what they used. Realizing they have done many transmissions they still can use fluid that doesn't perform well as a daily driver in really cold weather.

·
Super Moderator
20,862 Posts
If only 6th feels different than usual, then I would assume it's probably not your linkage. Could be, but probably not. Still worth inspecting since it's easy to do.

If it's a synchro, it should still go into gear of you double clutch or rev match the gear. I could be wrong about this o guess, but I am pretty sure.

I would take it back to that shop probably. Could be something wrong inside the transmission with a shift fork or something like that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 07 spec v and this happened to me a few months ago i was up shifting to pass a car on the high way when it was almost like i missed 5th gear it ground a little then went in to gear after that though it was hard to get in to 6th then a few weeks later i was accelerating and i believed i missed 4th and it seamed to fix it then just last night i was passing another car missed 5th and back to being really hard to shift in to 6th again any thoughts what may be broken that can be replaced? my thoughts are maybe i bent something when i missed 5th and unbent it when i missed 4th

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Dave stole my post. From what you say I would lean against a bad shifter bushing. Only other thing is the syncro. The bushing are rubber and break down. The bushings are easy to see by just pulling the cover to the shifter. I would think the 6th gear syncro is highly unlikely but you never know.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts