A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for letting me join your forum.

I changed wheel cylinders, shoes, and drums today on my wife's 2006 sentra.

bled rear brakes afterwards. Pedal feel was ok.

Went on a test drive. A little drag was heard but it quickly quieted down.

Tried a semi-hard stop and things were fine but suddenly pedal gave and went to the floor almost.

Now brakes barely work at all and the brake light is on in the dash. Fluid was full when I went out on my drive.

Is it possible i just have more air in the system? Why would the e-brake indicator light turn on?

·
Super Moderator
5,225 Posts
Fluid is below the sensor in the reservoir, with that either a massive air bubble worked its way out(doubt it) or something was not tight and fluid kept on squirting out when you hit the brakes...that would account for the not so great pedal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its definitely the fluid level. Now that its light outside again i checked and reservoir was almost empty. Topped off but brake lamp still on. Going to check for leaks before this storm rolls through.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok so I found the driver's wheel cylinder blown apart. The front shoe had shifted position and the cylinder blew out over it. Lower spring was still attached but the shoe was no longer behind the black curved piece that holds the spring in place.

Not sure if the shoe shifted first, or if the cylinder over extended causing the shoe to move.

Put back old wheel cylinder (it wasn't faulty, just 136k miles old) and cleaned everything off. Reinstalled, bled brakes all around this time. Everything is good to go now. Brakes feel stronger than I can ever remember. Brake indicator lamp is now off.

If any of you ever buy the RockAuto kit with everything needed to do your rear brakes, make sure to punch out the roll pin on the shoes before you try to install everything. It caused a handbrake lever position issue, which caused the adjuster bar to not fully seat, which caused the drums to not want to fit (even with adjuster all the way drawn in).

Thanks for your input CrickiKaze!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts