A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I have an important question because I'm doing the work in the morning. I'm not a fan of brakes, mainly the hydraulic aspect. So about a month ago my brake light was on. I checked the handbrake to make sure it was down all the way. It was. So I checked the fluid and it was low. Filled it and it was fine for about a month. It came on again so I looked under the car and noticed the left rear caliper was wet with brake fluid. This whole time, my pedal was fine and brakes worked fine. This last Saturday light on again so I filled it and drove it. Then on Monday I went to drive to work and my pedal went all the way to the floor and barely stopped. I babied it 12 miles to work and back. Question is, if the caliper was leaking from the piston(original from 02 188,000 miles) but the brakes were fine, even if the caliper just blew completely out and it still had fluid in it and no light on, why would I lose all brakes? I have a new caliper and hose and extra fluid because I'm sure there's a ton of air in the lines. One more question, is my master cylinder separated for front and back? It only has one cap so I'm guessing not. Please I hope someone reads this tonight or early morning. Thanks guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Air is your most likely culprit. If you had a leak and kept using the brakes, the hydraulic pressure made that leak larger and larger.

·
Super Moderator
5,225 Posts
I gave my theory in your other post. Not sure why you made two threads on the issue.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Replace the caliper. It may have only leaked at a slow rate when the brakes are under pressure which is why it still felt hard until it finally blew out. There is a seal where the parking brake lever goes in and the piston seal. Replace caliper and bleed brakes. Only have to bleed the 2 rear really. To answer your other question the master cyl is sectioned off from front and rear so that if either or leaks, you still have full fluid in the other. Should be a simple job overall.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts