A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a 2002 Spevc with a header. The downstream O2 Sensor has 2 spacers on it but still throws a code, and the exhaust smells fairly awful. It has been this way for a while - maybe 8000km or so, but I wasn't driving the car much and we don't have emissions tests in Vancouver any more, so I left it alone. The car will be my daily for the next while, so I'd like to get this "fixed" - so the the CEL is off and the exhaust smells more or less normal. I am thinking the thing to do is have a bung put in downstream of the remaining Cat and relocate the O2 sensor, which is what some people do. I know the connections for the wiring extension need to be pretty good. Is this the way to go, or should I fool around with spacers and maybe replace the O2 sensor? Will having driven the car the 8k kms with this issue have ruined the second Cat, and if so what's a good replacement? I track the car a couples of time a year, and appreciate the power for road driving, but not looking to spend $$ to build more power - just to not lose any.

Is there a shop in East Vancouver / Burnaby that has experience with this kind of stuff? The mechanic I use occasionally mostly deals with stock stuff, he can do the work but doesn't know how it might turn out (or doesn't want to speculate, anyway).

·
Super Moderator
6,510 Posts
You may have an exhaust leak which is causing your issues. Gaskets are the first and hopefully the pipes are not corroded.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You may have an exhaust leak which is causing your issues. Gaskets are the first and hopefully the pipes are not corroded.
Good point. Would the leak have to be before the downstream connector to cause issues?

·
Super Moderator
6,510 Posts
No, could start at the flange that bolts to the head to where the down steam o2 sensor ends and all of that stuff in between.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Blown or gutted cats can cause this. You can get a midpipe with a cat in it to save the exhaust fumes. But to fix the light you would need a primary cat or a different spacing technique.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts