A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to car audio but I can't seem to find anything on this specific question using the search tool.

I'm planning to buy an amp to power some pioneer speakers i got for my 2000 sentra GXE. From what I've read, I need to wire a blue and white wire from the headunit to the amp in order to have it turn off and on with the car. Before I buy something like this I like to run through the steps, so when taking out my headunit just now, I was confused to see a blue and white wire already connected to the harness. The car is used and the past owner put in a sony cdx-gt575 unit, but there seems to be no sign of him putting in an aftermarket amp along with it. Plus I'd doubt there is an amp since the music gets distorted pretty badly much before max volume.

So my question is... Should this blue and white wire already be there? If so, is it wired to anything important? Can i just cut it short and wire it to the amp? Maybe the past owner wired it himself for some reason unknown to me now.

I have pictures but I can't figure out how to make them smaller on this site. I'll leave them as attachments. They show the wire starting at the black harness, continuing through some white harness, and merging with other wires that lead to who knows where.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's usually the blue wire, with white line. You could always look up the Sony manual and find which is the remote wire.
Thanks for the reply,
I already know what wire it is(the blue and white), but I'm asking what any possible reasons would be for it to already be connected. I was expecting a disconnected wire or no wire at all, but this one seems to travel all the way through to the middle and I don't know where it goes from there. Again, this might be something the past owner did, but I just want to ask if anyone knows why it's like that before i attempt to cut it or buy an amp that requires it.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Thanks for the reply,
I already know what wire it is(the blue and white), but I'm asking what any possible reasons would be for it to already be connected. I was expecting a disconnected wire or no wire at all, but this one seems to travel all the way through to the middle and I don't know where it goes from there. Again, this might be something the past owner did, but I just want to ask if anyone knows why it's like that before i attempt to cut it or buy an amp that requires it.
Don't cut the blue/white wire that is already there, just splice into it to run your new wire back to your amp. Easiest way to solve your problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't cut the blue/white wire that is already there, just splice into it to run your new wire back to your amp. Easiest way to solve your problem.
Thanks again,
I would use some sort of Y splicer for that so that it becomes two wires right? If that even exists I mean, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most likely it goes to the stock amp.

Are you installing a 4-channel amp to power all of your speakers?
Yes that's exactly what I'm doing actually, 4 channels. From what I've read only the RF packages of this car come with an amp right? Or does every car have some sort of stock amp hidden? There isn't one in my trunk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bit the bullet and cut the wire with the intention of stripping and reconnecting it if something went wrong. Turns out nothing changed. Same volume and all speakers are producing the same sound. I guess the wire was connected to nothing? Either way I now feel better about hooking up an amp to the remote wire. Sorry for wasting your time!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts