A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A lot of people have issues with the reverse lockout when it comes to shift knobs, etc. and they also have a tendency to stop working or become "sloppy" when the spring slips of its seat.
Here's how you take it apart:

First, unscrew your shift knob and remove the plastic trim that surrounds the bottom cubby hole. Its held in with four clips and pops out if you pull it towards you.

Remove the boot and trim by pulling it up towards you, it should also pop out pretty easily.

This is what you should see now:

At the top of the spring is a pin that runs through the actual shifter that holds the lockout assembly in place. Pull it out with some pliers:

Now the entire lockout assembly can be removed by pulling it straight off the shifter. Here is a pic of the assembly removed:

When you put it back together, just make sure the pin goes on top of the spring and that the spring is seated correctly. If you look at the last pic, you can see how the bottom of the spring slipped off of its seat. This will cause the lockout to move up and down freely and lose that nice "springy" feel.

More pics to come soon...

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I modded the reverse lockout so it could not slip out anymore. I did this by drilling a hole and putting a cotter pin in (See attached picture - hope you don't mind that I drew on yours).

I'm sick of bringing the car back to the boneheads at Nissan to fix this!

-Gary

·
Premium Member
11,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I modded the reverse lockout so it could not slip out anymore. I did this by drilling a hole and putting a cotter pin in (See attached picture - hope you don't mind that I drew on yours).

I'm sick of bringing the car back to the boneheads at Nissan to fix this!

-Gary

Good idea, I've actually never had that problem before, usually it's the spring that slips off its seat and causes the lockout to stop functioning for me.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Thanks. I must have brought the car back to Nissan at least 4 times for this. The last time they told me the part has been updated so it should never happen again.:rolleyes:

I HATE Nissan...I have had every known problem happen to my Sentra and my Pathfinder and Nissan has given me nothing but trouble making things right.

-Gary

·
Premium Member
11,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
does anyone know if its possible to equip my 04 with the reverse lockout if i dont have one
I swear I get asked this question on every forum this how-to is posted on, lol.

You have to check your shifter and see if it has a hole that the pin goes through to hold the lockout assembly in place. If it does not, you may have to drill it or replace the shifter with an 05-06 one that does.
There is also the "lip" that the lockout hits to keep the shifter from going into reverse, I have no idea if the 02-04's have that or not either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ive been trying to take the reverse lockout out of my 06 SER spec v and those picture instructions were very useful but that stupid pin holding the mechanism in place seems to have dug itself in pretty well in my car.

ive been able to get it to come out slightly with a small hammer but pliers dont seem to be enough for it, i sprayed some WD-40 in the hole where the pin is but i still cant seem to get it out, i figured i could probably put a nail in front of it and hammer it harder but im afraid it might damage the pin and im not certain yet if i will keep the reverse lockout or not.

anyone else have this difficulty?

·
Registered
941 Posts
if anybody has a working assembly that doesn't want can send it to me, mine is broken and I want to have a working reverse lockout again :) btw the pin on my car seems to be almost welded itself in place too and can't get it out :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
ya it seemed like it was but i hammered at it a little bit and it slipped out slowly, i think i can probably get it out, and as for my lockout mechanism its broken, thats why i was going to take it out in the first place, when i first bought the car it was already broken and a few months ago it broke again, seems like the part isnt the best quality

·
Registered
40 Posts
The reverse lock in my 06 Spec hasn't been working for over two years. I want to get it back working again, but the black piece that attaches itself to the white notch has broke. I twisted the white piece to the side and just have been driving without the reverse lock but going into 5th sometimes is a challenge, especially being intoxicated. I remember reading on MySpecV a while ago that you could use fishing line to replace the piece that I'm missing? any help would be appreciated. suggestions?

·
Registered
8 Posts
when i got my short shifter i had to get rid of my reverse lock out but ive just paid more attention to wen i shift from 4-5 and 5-6...but its not hard to do at all...ant if you need that part you an get mine.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I want it :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
how about if the black bracket broke, its the one that has the small hole that connects with the white piece... im always having trouble with this one, n i cant find a new piece... any ideas??????

·
Registered
1 Posts
As of today I am looking for the black piece just below the knob. The hook that connects it to the white piece broke so they are no longer connected. The dealer wants me to buy the whole assembly. Besides anything to keep this 3 year old thread going!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Tried taking reverse lock out off but i cant get the pin out what do i do used a hammer players needle nd regular and the son of a gun wont come out what do i do.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Hammer and a punch.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Can anyone help me with a part # for the white plastic piece that connects to the spring? Mine broke dont think I can repair it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts