A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know encloser is the way to go but im not ready to give up trunk storage so thats off the table, for now. My question is, can anyone recommend a good 6.5" or 6.9" Free Air subwoofer that runs at 300 or 400 rms at 4ohms?

·
Super Moderator
6,206 Posts
There is no such thing as a 6.9" sub....fish

There are 6, 6.5 and 6.75 strangely enough and a good amount are at 2 ohms. It gets down to how much you want to pay, that... and free air isn't that great when it comes to that size pending on where you are putting it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just want to replace the rear deck sub and some more bass and tuning control. I saw your earlier posted about the kicker and jl audio types you've tried but those, like most are 150 rms @ 4 ohms or 2 where I think my amp, @ 340 rms at 4ohm, will just blow them out. :/ thinking ported is now the only way to go

·
Super Moderator
6,206 Posts
I have no need for the Kicker sub I'm not using and was going to put up for sale with the bracket, its can use a small sealed box.

I am using a shit built sealed and building a shit build ported(test/trial and error) boxes, free air just isn't worth it IMO but I didn't do it right as far as I'm concerned as well due to the trunk, but location doesn't help as welll....but I noticed massive improvements with the sealed box.

I got a specific amp for the side project any way.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ugh the more I read an get opinions the more I agree. I have decided to try and take a custom ported box to fit the side fenders punch outs in the trunk, probably can get a good 6.5" in

Thinking of making a custom box with a hole in the back and then making a custom back blouged out back plate to fit the stock mold. This would then run over the initial box, from behind, to add the port.

I want the port to be on top. Any thoughts?

Edit: did some rough calculations and the ported box is about 0.26ft^3 of volume with 3/4 in side walls, which I think is a bit big of a wide wall for a 6.5. Thinking I kight have to put the port at the bottom to make a proper port and have the sub fit nice.

This is the sub I am considering MESO-6-5 // 400 Watts RMS 6.5 Inch Car Subwoofer

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have but I dont think Ill be satisfied with it. At least if the rear deck plan fails, I will build a box. I dont want to do that yet though because It would mean moving my planned amp position

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still waiting on the sub and my amp kit to come in. In the mean time, I have decided to make a silhouette of the plastic backing in the trunk. I plan to get some threaded rivets and screw it into the frame.

Making the silhouette out of 1/2 mdf

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Cut it out today and turned out pretty well.
Now Im facing a dilemma. Right now it stands 90 degrees and adds a pocket of space behind it to stealth/safely mount my amp, but mounting the bracket this way will get complicated and securely mounting the bracket at 90 degrees without cutting and drilling the carpet almost seems impossible (which I want to avoid). Or, I can mount the bracket at an angle like the stock verison. It would be alot less complex with no drilling in carpet but I lose the nice back pocket and the amp would be mounting outwards inside the trunk instead of in the pocket outside of the trunk.

Here are pictures of the of it 90 degrees and the pocket behind it.

Need to drim a little to get slant flush but have 1 pic of it 80% in

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts