A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states, a forum member wanted to know how to make up AN fittings, as used on turbo drain lines, fuel lines, basically any line you wish to add to your vehicle, or replace, can be made with an AN fitting
I did not search to see if this has already been covered, but made this post under the assumption that if it has, then the pics may have been lost, or hosted somewhere else, and unavailable.

20180901_092657_resized.jpg
This is what you start with, the braided line, and the AN fitting, in this example, these are -10 AN fittings, in my case, made up to replace my turbo drain line.

Taken apart, you can see how the AN fitting is put together, along with another shot of the inside of the nut

20180901_092717_resized.jpg
20180901_093004_resized.jpg

The actual braided hose. There are a few ways you can cut this hose, with a cut off wheel and a dremel, chop saw, carbide blade hacksaw, etc. depending on what the liner is made of, in this case, rubber, I used a pair of tin snips. make sure you tape where you are cutting to keep the braid from spreading. Edit to add: these lines cannot be cut with a standard hacksaw blade, as the blade will grab the individual wires and tear things up.

20180901_092617_resized.jpg

The next step, is to remove the tape, and thread the nut over the hose, and make sure you get it seated at full depth inside, it should reach all the way to the lip. No pictures of me actually doing this, as it takes two hands and is kind of a pain, it is a very tight fit.

20180901_092805_resized.jpg
20180901_092812_resized.jpg

Then insert the fitting, making sure the fitting taper goes inside the hose itself, and screw together, the fitting will expand and seal the hose while it is being screwed in.

20180901_092836_resized.jpg

When you are done, You will have fittings that look like this, I also added a DEI silicone insulated sleeve to the turbo drain, for a bit more insurance. the hose is routed fairly close to the down pipe on my install, maybe 3/4" away from it. I did have to remove one of the 45's in this picture and replace it with a straight fitting.

20180830_200642.jpg

We all know the benefits of AN fittings over hose clamps, etc, and they really are not hard to make up. advantages of making your own over buying one? want to route a bit different? make the hose in whatever length you want. it is also cheaper to get the hose in longer lengths, and the fittings, than it would cost to simply buy the pre-built hose.

The fittings used for this were purchased from Amazon, and the hose from the local Fastenal store. Fastenal had the AN fittings as well, but were in drab stainless steel. I added a bit of color to it!

·
Registered
5,062 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
. make sure you tape where you are cutting to keep the braid from spreading.
If you skip this step you're going to be cutting again.

If you're going to be cutting alot of hoses I'd highly recommending looking at getting a dedicated hose cutter like this: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-900040

If you're just doing 3-4 cuts on a turbo saw, a high speed cut off wheel does fine though (which is what I did). However if I was going to replace virtually every rubber hose in my car with AN fittings, this would pretty much be a must.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Put my 10" Knipex cutters to work lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts