A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just picked up my spec v a few days ago, and the sound system isn't great. I did a bit of research but I wanna clarify a few things. I read that the stock headunit on the RF package system puts out low voltage signals... Are these the same as the rca outputs on an after market headunit? If so does that mean the RF amp in the back takes essentially low voltage signal (rca's) as an input then amplifying them, and sends them Out to the individual speaker?

So to keep the stock headunit you can make the ends of the wires in the trunk into rca's but cutting and splicing. Which will let you retain the factory headunit and have an after market amp. Without the need of any converters or anything.

Or can't you just make the ends of the wires behind the dash into rca's then do the same in the trunk where the amp is. So you can put in a more powerful after market amp? With an aftermarket headunit to avoid running rca's throughout the the whole car, since there's existing wiring.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
There are a few wiring diagrams on here. Do a search and you should find them pretty easily. If you cannot find them I can try and help you find them. From what I have read the pre amp out from the head unit goes to the amp that's located under the rear deck. From there it gets distributed out to the speakers and split out to the sub. You can also download the factory service manuals and there is a complete wiring diagram there as well. From what I know about the system its pretty intragal but that's not to say it can't be done. If you do figure it out share what you did to help others.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I found this by searching

i replaced the stock RF amp with a 4 channel and did the door speakers for a little over 200 bucks (yeah just 200 believe it or not) and the sound is amazing. iv been a bass head since i could drive a car lol but IMO Kenwood is number 1 in in head units then alpine, i have a kenwood kdc-545U bought about 2 years ago never had a problem. kenwood and alpine head units seem to be more honest about RMS power. dont cheap out on the head unit, the difference of a cheap-o HU and a good HU can make or break you. keep in mind all sound produced starts at the HU.
Car Audio Stereo - Car Subwoofers - Car Amplifiers and Speakers best prices for a reputable site

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are a few wiring diagrams on here. Do a search and you should find them pretty easily. If you cannot find them I can try and help you find them. From what I have read the pre amp out from the head unit goes to the amp that's located under the rear deck. From there it gets distributed out to the speakers and split out to the sub. You can also download the factory service manuals and there is a complete wiring diagram there as well. From what I know about the system its pretty intragal but that's not to say it can't be done. If you do figure it out share what you did to help others.
I found this by searching

i replaced the stock RF amp with a 4 channel and did the door speakers for a little over 200 bucks (yeah just 200 believe it or not) and the sound is amazing. iv been a bass head since i could drive a car lol but IMO Kenwood is number 1 in in head units then alpine, i have a kenwood kdc-545U bought about 2 years ago never had a problem. kenwood and alpine head units seem to be more honest about RMS power. dont cheap out on the head unit, the difference of a cheap-o HU and a good HU can make or break you. keep in mind all sound produced starts at the HU.
Car Audio Stereo - Car Subwoofers - Car Amplifiers and Speakers best prices for a reputable site
I couldn't find any wiring diagrams anywhere. Can u help out?

·
Registered
7 Posts
The wiring is fairly straight forward. I replace my RF as it was defective when I got my specv. Luckily I still had my faithfull Kenwood with the harness from my 1.8. The RF just provides front back left and right. The sub runs off of the rear channel.(you will need to fade to the rear on a aftermarket) I feel the system is adequate for a daily driver with just the head unit replaced. My personal opinion is if you are going to use a different amp, upgrade the head unit and run lower gauge wiring to everything. This is what I did in my 1.8 and it wasn't all that difficult.

One thing to note if you do replace the head unit when you go to install, that plug that doesn't have a place to go is for the 6 disc changer option.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts