A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

101 - 120 of 158 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
I know someone with a suede Juke wheel with working airbag. Idk if he'll come on here and assist or not. I shot him a message though.

And :lmao: nobody ask me about how he did that because idk lol. But I do know the wheel fits with no modification.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Yeah a Juke is definitely a dual stage airbag. I'd love a Nismo Juke wheel though, they're fantastic. The red stripe is so cool and they feel great.

I wonder if you can swap the ignitor like people do with Hondas. Swap the explody bit from the Sentra airbag into the Maxima airbag. Still a bit sketchy though. Should have tried that today in the yard.
Also, wonder if there's actually a market for a bunch of Spec V transmissions. There's normally one there every time I go, and they charge $125 CDN ($92 USD) for one. If I can sell them for $300 that's a pretty decent profit....

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
$300 is standard asking price so I'd consider that top dollar personally

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Update time.
Seats are back together. Spent way too long hand stitching 24 strips of air bag fabric onto the back of the seat covers. Used my mom's sewing machine to make a loop at the end of the strips, sliced slits in the seat foam and fed them through. Zip ties hold them together.

Drivers side, clean and assembled. I almost grabbed a passenger side seat cover from the junkyard to replace this one, see there's a little bit of wear on the bolster? But realized it was a non-airbag seat and didn't have the zippers on the back like mine do. Wasn't willing to do that much sewing.

Cut the old windshield out. Found rust on both sides down here.

Ground to bare metal, primed, and coated with POR15. Love that stuff.

It extended below the weatherstrip rail on both sides as well. This part just got all the loose rust scraped off and coated with POR15.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Windshield opening prepped and drivers seat installed. I should have taken a better before pic so you could see how dirty the seat was.

Nice un-cracked glass installed. No pictures of the process as thing happen fast, I was pressed for time and pretty stressed out. First time doing a windshield, not sure I'll be doing one again. All said I've got about $135 CAD into this. $50 glass, $30 upper trim from Nissan, $20 glass removal tool, and $35 into urethane and primers.

So, I bought a trans from a 04 Maxima 6 speed with the optional LSD from a junkyard in Ontario. Here it is beside the completed passenger seat.

It was in pretty rough shape. I flipped if over and a bunch of water mixed with oil came out. Uh-oh...

So I opened it up and after a good cleaning still had this

So I'm talking to the junkyard that sold me the trans, hoping I'll get some money back. I find out on Monday if they're going to follow through with it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Just as an aside, I found the 05-06 Nissan Xtrail has the same cruise control switch I need. Attractive wheel too, with the correct single stage airbag.
I'll be on the lookout for one at the junkyard, I've seen them there before.

I knew there was a bit of rust on the rockers, and I wanted to take care of it before the snow flies. Pulled off the side skirts and it was much worse than I had thought.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
After lots of grinding and wire wheeling I had made a bunch of holes. :(

The driver's side was a bit better

Nothing showing on the rear arches yet. I pressure washed it all, sprayed with paint prep, wiped down and layed a thick coat of POR15 on the inside wheel lip. Rubberized undercoated the rest.

Front got the same treatment. Rockers got POR15 as I didn't have the stuff needed to patch them right then. Also swapped on the winter wheels and tires

Debating whether to just weld in new sheetmetal or box the rockers in with like 2x2 square tube. If I go with the factory style sheetmetal rockers I'll have to figure out a new way to secure the side skirts or punch in a bunch of square holes for the factory clips. What do you think?

·
Registered
256 Posts
The ideal cruise switch is one from a '03-'04 Pathfinder. It looks and fits identical to the SpecV version, but has the correct wiring layout and resisters for the VQ engine.

By the way, I just bought an '02 Maxima 6 speed with the 3.8 ratio down here in Houston at a pick-u-part wrecking yard for $75 (I plan to swap the 3.8 differential gearing into my '06 tranny that I previously built up for my SpecVQ swap to get better economy and a more functional 1st gear ratio...the 4.133 ratio is virtually useless on initial launch due to hitting the rev limiter so quick). These trannies are dirt cheap down here!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
tloof, the Pathfinder and Xtrail cruise switches are identical, the same part number. Just another application to look for if you're in Canada.
$75 for a trans is a good deal! They're $125 CAD here (about $95 USD), the problem is I've never found a 6 speed maxima. The closest was that 03 Altima I got the ECU from. I also don't feel like pulling a trans in a lake of slush and mud in freezing temperatures like we'll have for the next 6 months!
You're the 3rd person on this forum who's told me they want the 3.8 final drive. I've got one in the car right now and want shorter. Maybe I'm too used to my Hondas. I did a bunch of playing around with transmission ratio calculators before I pulled the trans out a month ago to see if I could mix and match ratios between the 5 speed and 6 speed. My conclusion was to stick with the factory 03-06 Spec V gearing. I guess if I don't like it I can swap the 3.8 from the 5 speed in.

So monday morning after letting the paint dry on the car I went to drive it out and got nothing but click from the starter. Solenoid engages but nothing turns.
Pulled it off on my lunch and opened it up, found one of the brushes was either worn way down or stuck. A co-worker had another starter with a broken solenoid from some QR25 car, he let me use it for parts. Swapped the end cap and brushes as they fit.
Bad angle of the photo, but the bad one is on the left assembly in about the 2 o'clock position. The good used one isn't quite the same, but works.

Wanted to swap the armature, but the size of the gear at the other end was smaller. Gave my armature a quick sand and scrapped out the grooves between the segments. Cleaned all contacts.
Ta-da!

And holy crap! What a difference. The car now turns over so much faster. I didn't even realize there was an issue before, but the car fires up instantly now. Very happy, another free fix and improvement.

Yogi, sorry to disappoint but I ended up ordering a pair of stock rockers from RockAuto for $67 USD shipped. It's the easier solution, and possibly cheaper. I'm not sure how much you care about car classification, but additional welding may kick you into the highest classes. That was another point I ended up considering as I've auto-x'd every car I've owned except this one so far. RIght now it's a nice fit for SM-F, boxed rockers would put me up against some crazy mod cars (lotus 7 replicas and the like).

Finally, I also spoke with the junkyard today and they're agreed to refund me $300 for the Maxima trans. Quite pleased with that, just waiting for it to show on my Visa.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Run Away,

Good to know that there is another choice to look for the cruise switch!

As for the 3.8 ring and pinion, I find that the 4.133 ratio to be way to short with the shorter tires that fit in the SpecV. If you compare it to the 350Z tire diameter and differential ratio it uses the 3.8 ratio with the smaller tires we use comes close to matching what the 350Z has overall. When I launch my SpecVQ I bounce off the 7200 RPM redline so damn fast that I can't shift fast enough to keep the rev limiter from kicking in. Not only that, it is very difficult to prevent excessive wheel spin when launching, so the short ratio doesn't help you much at all. Also, the fuel economy on the highway absolutely sucks with the 4.133 ratio...I only get about 21 mpg max, though I do cruise at 80 mph most of the time! Ha My cruising RPM is 3250 RPM at 80 mph, so the 3.8 ratio will drop my cruising RPM down just below 3000 RPM, which should help my fuel economy about 15% or so. The SpecVQ actually weighs slightly less than a 350Z, so it can easily pull a 3.8 ratio so I suspect that it will actually be faster thru the 1/4 mile due to less shifting required and less spinning of the tires on launch! I may be wrong, but I really think that the 3.8 ratio installed in the '03-'06 SpecV tranny (with VQ bell housing) will make for the best combination in a VQ swapped SpecV...only time will tell.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I have the 03 Maxima trans and at 3k in sixth I'm at almost 90. But I'm also running a 255/40/17

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm running 245/40/17 tires, and I get 80 mph @ 3250 RPM in 6th gear with the 4.133 differential ratio. Even with 255/40/17 tires and @ 3000 RPM I don't see how you could be getting 90 mph...something isn't adding up there! I'll have to go calculate what you should really be getting at that RPM with the tire diameter & differential ratio you have!

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
At Ur rpm I'm 90+ I'll try and get a video

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
I'm at about 2750 at 80mph in 6th with 225 45 17

I also like the 3.8
Way way better than my other car with a QRt

·
Registered
256 Posts
I went back and calculated what speed I should be going at 3250 eng RPM and it was 93 mph...so my instrument cluster is only showing 80 mph, so I definitely seem to have a problem here! 2002 blackspec_v calculates out to be 2902 eng RPM at 90 mph with the 3.812 ratio and 255/40/17 tires, so he is close to what he claimed.
This would explain why I seem to be getting such poor gas mileage! By the way, going from a 4.133 to 3.812 ratio will drop the eng RPM about 220 RPM which is about an 8% drop.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I went back and calculated what speed I should be going at 3250 eng RPM and it was 93 mph...so my instrument cluster is only showing 80 mph, so I definitely seem to have a problem here! 2002 blackspec_v calculates out to be 2902 eng RPM at 90 mph with the 3.812 ratio and 255/40/17 tires, so he is close to what he claimed.
This would explain why I seem to be getting such poor gas mileage! By the way, going from a 4.133 to 3.812 ratio will drop the eng RPM about 220 RPM which is about an 8% drop.
i like my 3.8 gears. third is good to over 90+ lol. u can even do 0-60 with only 2 gears and i only rev mine to 7k

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yeah, that was what I figured awhile back...which is why I want to change out to the 3.812 ratio as well. I bet it is faster thru the 1/4 mile too since it probably results in one less gear to shift into. How is your launch of the line with your 3.812 ratio?

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Yeah, that was what I figured awhile back...which is why I want to change out to the 3.812 ratio as well. I bet it is faster thru the 1/4 mile too since it probably results in one less gear to shift into. How is your launch of the line with your 3.812 ratio?
even half throttle it spins hard, i have to try and shift slow to try and not spin second gear

·
Registered
256 Posts
Mine spins the tires in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and into 4th slightly in full throttle application with the 4.133 differential.

101 - 120 of 158 Posts