A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

121 - 140 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Keep in mind my car doesn't have as much power as yours tloof. Also, I'm used to Hondas...my one civic has a 4.7:1 final drive and turns 4000rpm in 6th gear at 72 mph!
I have a 3.8:1 in the car right now and I'd like shorter. Going to a 6 speed with the 4.1:1 final will give me more acceleration than I have now and actually drop my highway rpm vs the 3.8:1 in 5th. Win-win in my book.

I'm happy to report the junkyard refunded the $300 I asked for without hesitation, it showed up on my Visa. Should have asked for more lol. Or bought a 02-03 max trans and sold the 3.8:1 since so many of you seem to want it! :p

Updates on the rockers in a bit once the pictures upload. Spoiler alert: I hate rust

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
I will be at 2132 rpm at 60 mph with the Spec V gearing. Currently I'm at 2410 rpm withe the 3.8 and 5 speed.
Here is 03-06 Spec V and 04-06 Maxima gearing vs 02-06 Altima 5 speed

Here is 03-06 Spec V and 04-06 Maxima gearing vs 02-03 Maxima 6 speed

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
There's a huge giant autocross advantage with the 3.8 if you have a VQ vs the stock gearing with a QR. A 10mph advantage.

And VQ vs VQ it's still 5.4mph. Big advantage

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
New rockers arrived

Opened up

Ground off all the rust, made the holes bigger.

This rearward structure wasn't very solid

So I cut it out and cleaned up

- - - Updated - - -

Primer to protect

1/8" plate steel to re construct it. It was that or 22 gauge, had to run to the store to get metal. Wasn't planning on having to repair the inner bits...

Cut a bad section out further ahead

Tacked in more 1/8" plate. This is probably stronger than factory now, the B pillar is fully welded and tied into the lower rockers now instead of two spot welds.

And I had to stop here as I ran out of wire. Need more gas too .

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
There's a huge giant autocross advantage with the 3.8 if you have a VQ vs the stock gearing with a QR. A 10mph advantage.

And VQ vs VQ it's still 5.4mph. Big advantage
Yes, if I was gearing this car for an autox build I'd use the 3.8:1 final drive....or maybe the 1.842 2nd gear from the Altima with the 4.1:1 final. With stock size tire and 7200rpm redline that's 69.3mph

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
i find with cams [c1in qrtas, and c8 in vq] this all changes
a vq can go near 8000 rpm with c8 cams

i found i was faster on the drag strip with vq and stock gearing and 24.5" tires
[108 in the 1/4 in 4th]
on the street i used 25" tires

as an alternative
try adding cams
they increase rpm range as well as power

- - - Updated - - -

love your welds
looking good

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Cams would be awesome! Too bad they're so pricey. I could probably build a rev-up motor for the cost though.
Okay, more updates.
Made some little tabs to tie the section I welded in to the bottom of the rocker. Also painted it all with POR15

Weld through primer along the seam. Rocker is ready to go on.

Rocker doesn't fit for shit!

That's okay, I slowly worked my way up and cut it to length. All tacked in. Kept blowing through the little bit at the back.

Fully welded along the top and front.

Decided to replace this bit too

It was all thin crap, I kept cutting it back until I had solid metal. Here's where I stopped.

Ground down the weld along the top and hit it with primer so it can wait outside until next week.

After pricing out new factory side skirt clips ($6 each!!!) and trying to figure out a cheaper solution I think what I'm going to end up doing is M6x1.0 rivnuts along the bottom of the rocker for where the screws were, and just double sided tape on the sides where the snap clips were.

Cut a hole in the driver's side to see how things were, looks like I have to plate it too.

Damnit.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
More progress.

Filler piece for the passenger side rear wheel well. 1/8" plate. Just a straight vertical piece, not a curved cup like factory.

Rocker patch on. Didn't end up very nice, but it'll be covered by the side skirt anyways.

A grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't....

It dumped snow here and I got the car stuck a couple times trying to park it. Can't wait for the LSD trans.

Measured all my shims for the maxima trans. I'm just going to put all the Spec V gears into the Maxima case. Synchros all look pretty good on it.
Input shaft.

Main shaft.

Diff.

And reverse. Was able to re-use the Sentra shim here, it was within spec. The other three were ordered.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Started on the driver's side. Here's the before.

During

After

Opening up the driver's side some more

Thankfully after cleaning it up, all is solid. No patching needed.

The cup at the back here was very thin and rusted through too, just like the passenger side.

Gave it a try replicating it with some 22 gauge sheet metal. Turned out okay. Had to turn the welder all the way down, so the welds piled up a bit.

The last of my POR15 to cover it all up. Next is just welding on the rocker, drilling holes for the side skirts, paint, and then installing the skirts.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Haha, thanks yogi! I'll have to disagree with you strongly about the better looking part, it's pretty amateur looking! But that's okay, the sideskirts should hide the majority of my sins. This isn't and will never be a pretty car, I just want it to last a while.

Tacked

Ground

Drilled holes for riv-nuts, to be used to mount the side skirts.

POR15

Seam sealer as well inside the wheel wells.

Riv-nuts installed

I hit the openings with primer after drilling, and coated the riv-nuts with some expired structural adhesive before crimping them into place. They shouldn't move.

- - - Updated - - -

It's hitting -30 C base temps with the wind putting it under -40, so I got the block heater all sorted. Clearance isn't great with the headers.

Cord routed to the grille. The headlights are my next project, not sure if I mentioned it but I have a pair of extra headlights from the junkyard I'm going to rip apart and try to retrofit.

And the current underhood shot. I'd like to clean up the wiring some more, and have an intake made that has supports and better curves to fit.

Primer and bondo. I've never used bondo before, that was a learning experience. It's so much harder than I expected, I was trying to sand it down with 220 grit and couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting anywhere. It also sets up super fast. Not sure if I was using too much hardener or what. Just trying to smooth the rockers a bit as I didn't do a great job. Still learning...

Filler primer. I was a little tempted to leave them red, looked kinda neat with the doors closed.

Also finished up installing a 2 way remote start. Just need to borrow a programmer to set up the double pulse to unlock doors instead of single, and to automatically trigger the rear defrost when it's below freezing. The goal for this car is still to be my next winter beater, so it needs LSD, heated seats, and remote start. Just the LSD to go now...

Having some thoughts of trying to fit some 26" diameter winter tires on it once I burn through these.
I've got a couple coats of black rustoleum spray paint on there now, but didn't take any pics. I'm a little concerned about the "stick" of the paint and how it'll hold up. Any recommendations for something better?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Okay update time. I ended up painting the rockers with rattle cans. I'll re-do it if I have to.

Stuck the side skirts on with double sided tape.

Passenger side fits nice

Drivers side doesn't fit as well, there's a bit of a gap below the rear door but it's not something you'd notice unless I pointed it out to you.

After the side skirts were installed I coated everything with undercoating sprayed from below.

Started driving it again. We got a big dumping of snow again, and I got stuck again.

Really can't wait to get the LSD trans installed. Shims come off backorder Feb 9th now apparently.
The car has really poor traction. Not sure if it's just the conditions or maybe the tires. They're 185/65/15 Goodyear Ultra Grip Winter. I've told myself to wait till the LSD trans is in and see how things are, but I'm tempted to take them off for something better, taller, and wider.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
My best friend asked me to take some tires off some rims he was using to test fitment on his EVO. Since they share pretty similar specs to the Sentra, I put them on to try. Wheels are 17x9 +37 and the tires are 245/40/17 Rivals.

Fits nice and flush in the rear, plenty of clearance on the inside too.

Front has a bit of poke and a bit tighter to the strut.

Pretty amazed how much room there in on this car. I can only dream of that for my autox Civic, I've got roller and pulled fenders on it to fit 215/45/16 Rival S.

·
Registered
8,848 Posts
One winter I ran a set of 235 45 17 winter tire on 17x7 rims back had to be rolled. Now I run a 225 45 for winter.
As for summer I have a set of 245 40 17 r888s on a 17x8 et 37. Fenders are rolled and pulled

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Popped the headlights off to sand and polish them up as they're pretty awful out on the highway. Found someone double gasket-ed the drivers side bulb, so it wasn't sitting properly. That should help things...

One side done, the other not.

And done, with a before/after.

Also ordered some $12/pr mudflaps to help reduce the amount of crap being flung up onto the rockers. Hopefully that helps keep the rust at bay.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
One winter I ran a set of 235 45 17 winter tire on 17x7 rims back had to be rolled. Now I run a 225 45 for winter.
As for summer I have a set of 245 40 17 r888s on a 17x8 et 37. Fenders are rolled and pulled
Yeah I didn't drive the car with them on so I don't know how bad they would have rubbed, but it seems to me that it wouldn't take much to make them fit, the rear especially. Another 5mm offset would be ideal, but from the looking I've done there aren't any off the shelf wheels with those specs.

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
My best friend asked me to take some tires off some rims he was using to test fitment on his EVO. Since they share pretty similar specs to the Sentra, I put them on to try. Wheels are 17x9 +37 and the tires are 245/40/17 Rivals.

Fits nice and flush in the rear, plenty of clearance on the inside too.

Front has a bit of poke and a bit tighter to the strut.

Pretty amazed how much room there in on this car. I can only dream of that for my autox Civic, I've got roller and pulled fenders on it to fit 215/45/16 Rival S.
IMO
this is perfect for your car
they will hep all aspects of handling
acceleration, turns and braking

they ride a bit stiff, but the performance is amazing
for a street tire

i have gone thru 2 sets of the rivals
i feel they wear well, are tolerable in the rain
give good aural feedback at the limits

but now a bit expensive

i may have a bit more power so run 255s
1309491 by yogib777, on Flickr

the 245s are used for track work with track tires
labeled 225s but next to real 225s
lol
DSCN1949 by yogib777, on Flickr

the track tires allow a little more room inside for the more extreme g forces
and actually grip better than the 275/40/17 r888s run previously

sleeper tires on the street, they actually look small
DSCN2044 by yogib777, on Flickr

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
Yeah I didn't drive the car with them on so I don't know how bad they would have rubbed, but it seems to me that it wouldn't take much to make them fit, the rear especially. Another 5mm offset would be ideal, but from the looking I've done there aren't any off the shelf wheels with those specs.
wheels are hard to find in 17x9 4 bolt or even 17x8s

the only two brands that commonly carry them
[NOT A RECOMMENDATION]

Rota
they have 16x8s which will allow a 245/45/16 tire
http://www.racinglab.com/rota-rb-0024.html

and 17x8.5s
http://www.racinglab.com/rota-rb-0029.html
http://www.racinglab.com/rowhd2184.html

and ubiquitous
17x8
http://www.racinglab.com/rota-grid-17x8-002.html

for example

Joe raced for a season on a set

they are less than 200 apiece but a bit heavy
compared to anything i have used previously,
except the stockers

and xxr

which i'm not going to waste links on

some are alright and have survived auto-x use
but i'm too unfamiliar with them to say anything

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Ha! I knew I'd get some tire pictures from yogi! I love your enthusiasm for wheel/tire fitment. :)
I love my Rival S on my civic. I ran my front pair down to the cords in 2015, didn't run the car at all in 2016 and I'll be buying another pair for the front when I run it again. I don't put as many miles on the car as you do your sentra, so I haven't had the opportunity to
sample as many choices as you have. Previously I've run the Azenis RT615 (non-K), Star Spec Z1, RE11A, Advan AD08, Rival, and now Rival S. I've yet to try the RE71R, but I'd like to. Right now I'm limited by my 16" wheel size, thinking of stepping down to a 15" rim for that car, especially if all the rumored 245/4x/15 tires come to market.

As for wide 17" 4x114 wheels, the problem is they all come in lower offsets more suited to S-chassis Nissans. It's hard to find a 17x8 with +35 offset, almost impossible to find a 17x9 +35. And ideally for stock fenders something like a +40 would be best for maximum clearance. That's what makes those 17x9 +37 such a good find. My buddy is selling them if anyone is interested.

Personally if I was in the market to buy wheels for my Sentra I'd be looking at something like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330637103266
I have no issues with "knockoff" wheels, especially for street/autox use. Track is a bit different, especially if there's curbing.

121 - 140 of 158 Posts