A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

141 - 158 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Enkei GP5 17x8 wheels with +45 offset fit 245/40-17 tires perfectly in the SpecV. They even look very similar to the stock '02-'03 SpecV 5 spoke wheels! They even clear Brembo calipers; however, they do require upgrading to 5 lug hubs though. I got mine new for $124 each on a year end special sell, so they are a good buy in my opinion.

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
Enkei GP5 17x8 wheels with +45 offset fit 245/40-17 tires perfectly in the SpecV. They even look very similar to the stock '02-'03 SpecV 5 spoke wheels! They even clear Brembo calipers; however, they do require upgrading to 5 lug hubs though. I got mine new for $124 each on a year end special sell, so they are a good buy in my opinion.
once 5 bolt
a whole new world of wheels opens to you

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Holy lack of updates Batman!

So quick and fast updates of what I've been up to on this car.

Ripped apart some headlights. Pair of Sentra lights and a pair of Civic lights. The Sentra lights are permaseal and really sucked to do. The first one I did was an OEM Nissan light and I fought it the whole way around, only to snap the housing the last little bit on the side. Not a huge loss, it had broken tabs anyways. The second was a DEPO? or TYC brand? Aftermarket anyways. It came apart pretty cleanly after a bunch of time getting the first corner separated. Civic lights were cake and I probably had them apart in 30 seconds after they came out the oven.

I was hoping to use some 14+ Rogue LED lights.

But after some research found LED lighting still isn't up to par with traditional HID. There was also the issue of space, as the Rogue LED projector is low beam only. It has an LED reflector high beam, but the Sentra lights don't have room inside without gutting it completely and basically re-inventing the lamps from scratch. Not something I wanted to do for my first build.

Then I was going to use a set of 06 350Z projectors I have with an STI-R lens swap and tuning, but after running the numbers it was barely more expensive to buy Morimoto D2S 4.0s projectors which are much much easier to mount. Picking those up from the border next week along with a new drivers side headlamp to replace the one I broke.

Decided to flush my brake fluid as it's the only fluid I haven't yet replaced on the car.

The shims I ordered for the 6 speed showed up. My original order was cancelled as they don't sell each shim individually now apparently, only the full range of shims. Cost was something like $27 vs the $8 for one shim.

New input shaft seal. Glad I decide to halt assembly and wait for a new one instead of throwing it all together and chancing it.

Final shim selection

Ready for final assembly. This is the guts from the original 2004 Spec-V trans into the maxima casings.

New trick for pulling the trans. Rotate it 90 deg downwards as soon as the dowels are disengaged. Much more clearance.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Cut apart the exhaust and moved the hump over the axle forward a bit so it would quit clunking over bumps.

Picked up a set of 2008 Sentra alloys with practically new 205/55/16 Hankook I-pike RS winters to replace the 185 width Goodyears on the crusty steelies.

Of course once I did that we didn't get any more snow so I haven't been able to test them out. Sure look better though.

Had the drivers rear brake caliper seize on me, thought the clutch was slipping from the smell. Junkyard gave me a replacement caliper for free when I picked up the new winter wheels.

Scored a 2005 Xtrail cruise control switch, so that's only one code remaining (vacuum cut valve bypass valve). Just had to re-pin the steering wheel plug and it works and fits perfect.

And after that the passenger rear wheel bearing decided to pack it in. Bought a cheap Mevotech bearing which didn't come with wheel studs or ABS tone ring so I had to swap the old ones over.

Rude.

I also installed some A/C lines today. Just need a little one to join the high side compressor to the condenser and it should be ready to charge. Already wired the front air control A/C signal to the Altima BCM.

And threw on the summer tires today too.

Looks funny with the 215/40/17 Azenis in front and 215/45/17 rear tires. Can't wait to burn them off, will most likely replace them with Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s. Shouldn't take too long, the Azenis have zero straight line traction compared to winter tires. It's wheelspin city in the car now.

And my fuel mileage for the winter.

The 16.2 L/100k translates to 14.5 us MPG and the 14.0L/100k to 16.8 mpg. It's pretty much all city driving in 12 minute trips to and from work, so that explains the figures. Looking forward to the hotter temps helping those figures out. . You can see my last tank was 12.7L/100k, which is 18.5mpg.

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Is the new hybrid transmission complete and installed?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Yes, the 6 speed with LSD and 4.1 FD was installed mid February. It's not as slick shifting as the 5 speed that came out, 2nd and 3rd are a little too crunchy for my liking. But the LSD is great and the extra gear is nice for 50mph+ driving.

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Yes, the 6 speed with LSD and 4.1 FD was installed mid February. It's not as slick shifting as the 5 speed that came out, 2nd and 3rd are a little too crunchy for my liking. But the LSD is great and the extra gear is nice for 50mph+ driving.
What do you think of the gear ratios?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
What do you think of the gear ratios?
Definitely better than the 5 speed. I'm not 100% convinced the 4.1 final is better than the 3.8 with the 6 speeds and VQ like I was before removing the 3.8 5 speed for the 4.1 6 speed. I'd have to try it to know for sure. Maybe if my 6 speed shifted nicer I wouldn't mind shifting it as often as it does with the shorter gearing?
This thread tloof created a little while back about using the early 1st and 2nd gear with the 3.8 final might be the ultimate - kinda like a wide ratio 6 speed. The VQ has enough torque that the tight gear spacing isn't as beneficial.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
I got the last A/C line modified and installed. This is the high pressure line from the compressor to the condenser. I used the stock Altima line. It's a pretty good fit except the condenser end's mounting block is 180 deg out from where it needs to be on the Sentra. I cut a slit in the block and whacked it with a hammer so it split and can rotate.

Voila!

So I basically did nothing other than bend the factory Sentra lines a bit and flip the mounting block on the one Altima line. Didn't even replace any O-rings. Did spend $30 on a new receiver/dryer as the old one has been vented to atmosphere for a few years now.

Everything works like factory, the idle bumps up when the compressor engages, it cuts out under high throttle, it runs the cooling fan whenever the compressor engages, and will cut it should the car start to overheat. I flipped and bent up the factory mounting bracket on the passenger shock tower to work, and for now I ziptied the high pressure line to the coolant overflow. I forget how the factory Sentra supports this line.

Made a trip to the border last Wednesday and picked up my headlamp retrofit stuff as well as a new drivers side lamp.

And that was my project for today. Got the new lamp open, used a dremel to open up the factory bulb opening to fit the mounting shaft of the new projector, and trimmed the shrouds to fit.

I want to put them on the car and do a quick aiming check to make sure I'm not way off and they're generally pointed in the right direction before I finalize trimming the shrouds. Then it's time to mount and wire the switchback halos (putting in halos to satisfy the DRL requirements here in Canada - the HID system can't run at half voltage like the factory halogens did) and seal the housings.

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Dam photobucket :facepalm:
Pics don't show up

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
I'm not going to bother trying to fix everything, but if you're really looking to go through everything then everything should still be view able on Photobucket's website. I'll warn you though, you thought I posted a lot of pics here, there's over 700 on my PB. You may have to clear your cache since photos I've linked here will still show up there as blocked. I think there are some firefox/chrome extensions that will fix the pics as well.

Link is here: http://s45.photobucket.com/user/Ben_Lude/library/B15U

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Didn't you also post your build on some other website?

Thought I saw it somewhere in addition to here. If that's correct and if pics work there by chance....post a link in here to there ;)

It's a good thread man. Disappointed by the photobucket thing. Forum lost all kinds of good stuff :facepalm:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Yup, on the Grassroots Motorsports forums. It's pretty much identical to this one, and the pics are missing there too. I've done a couple more updates since then since I visit there daily and almost never here. https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/2004-nissan-sentra-v6-swap/106992/page5/

I've just been driving the car daily for quite a while. No issues to report. Replaced a dead battery a few weeks ago, I've replaced the PCV valve to help with the oil consumption, and I repainted the roof with spray paint in the fall. Also wired in the one evap purge valve and it's been codeless for a few months now, but that's mainly because it's too cold out for it to run the evap tests. I'm at about 12,500kms since completing the swap.

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Next weekend I'm replacing my entire VQ to help with the oil consumption lol.

Hope the new one is alright. Supposedly its super low mile. But obviously ya never know. And even low mile used engines can be trash sometimes. :fingersx:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Yeah I'm burning about a liter every 2000kms or so, so not horrific but have to keep an eye on it. I only paid less than $300 for the engine/trans/harness/everything else so I can't be too upset. If I end up replacing this engine it'll be something I rebuild myself with higher compression.

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
It depended how hard I drove.....

But I can easily lose a quart in a couple hundred miles lol

Rarely smokes aside from between shifts. Every now and then it'll decide to smoke idling. Or if I revved the piss out of it it would smoke pot a minute.

I suspect same as you suspect. Blow by.
Probably bad rings. Haven't compression checked the rear bank. Front bank was ok.

PCV seems to function fine.

Suspect the cat on the bad bank is clogged from oil and that's probably only making things worse and worse.

141 - 158 of 158 Posts