A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

Sentra Spec V knocking sound in front driver wheel after wheel stud, brake and rotor

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Sus Spec 
#1 ·
I recently replaced a stripped wheel stud while also changing out the brake pads and rotors but found a very noticeable knocking sound to be present whenever I let off the gas. Anytime I let off the gas at any speed the knocking sound is consistently present and sounds like a machine gun in terms of the speed of the knocking sound.

When I replaced the wheel stud I hammered it in but found it was incredibly difficult to do because of the angle and the fact that I didn't have a 3 pound hammer but rather a standard hammer. Another mistake I made was not fitting the new top brake clip properly which somehow was smashed by the brake pad during my first test drive creating a very bad scraping sound which was fixed by simply replacing the clip.

I checked lug nuts which were tightened and tried to visually inspect the mechanics surrounding the wheel but couldn't visually identify anything, any idea what I should check next?

#2 ·
if I had to guess, and thats all this is, without being able to inspect, I would say you did not get the wheel stud all the way in, and the wheel bearing may have some play in it, which under braking could cause the bearing to move, and allow the stud to hit on the knuckle at some point. an inspection will tell you for sure, but you would have to remove the caliper and rotor to get a good look at it. An easy way to tell if the wheel bearing is going bad, is to raise the car, and grab the tire at the top and bottom, and try to rock it back and forth. if there is perceptible movement in the wheel, or a clicking sound, you need wheel bearings. You did not say if it was the front or rear, but the same check will work on both, only difference is, the rears you have to replace the whole hub instead of just the bearing.

another possibility is, if you hammered the stud in, you could have bent the flange on the hub, the way to check for this is to again raise the car, and spin the wheel, if it looks like it wobbles then it can be either the bearing, or a bent hub.

I press my studs in with a ball joint press, rather than hammer on them, many people pull them in with a lug nut and a few washers, but hammering it in is really not the best way to go

#3 ·
You're right about the wheel stud which was in the front drivers side wheel, when I hammered it in I couldn't get it to go flush though it was very close, I did end up visually inspecting it when the sound first started and it appeared to have pulled itself flush by itself after I drove the car. When you say braking could cause the bearing to move I've noticed that when I brake is about the only time other than riding downhill in gear or pressing the gas that the noise stops. I will try to do another visual inspection and check for the things you mentioned.

#8 ·
Possible your caliper is loose.
Check that if you haven't.

Probably not what it is.
Pretty much just need to check everything.

#9 ·
Never hammer a stud through. It doesnt sit flat and wobbles in further widening the hole. A stud puller tool $10 and should be used. I had a horrible experience with washers pulling a stud through. Never again, there is a tool for that!

I feel like the problem should be obvious if you feel for it by hand. Sometimes pads can knock if the pad is slightly smaller than the bracket, but usually not it. Does it ever change while applying brakes? That should tell you where the problem is. Just gotta check your work and whatever nuts and bolts you touched.

Reactions: shanover
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.