A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My alternator went out, so I completed the install of the new alternator - however when I went to crank her up - I got a loud squeaking or squealing noise which also created a lightly burning type smell. I used the same belt, the tensioner gave me no issues when re-installing the belt, the belt feels perfectly tight as it was before, and I made sure that all the grooves on the belt were lined up correctly - however I never had this sound before. I purchased a new belt - got everything just right as before - cranked her up & got the same annoying squeaking/squealing sound, and the smell. I need help figuring out what I've done wrong - or if I need another part.... Any suggestions???ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>

·
39,045 Posts
Throwing a few things out there.

1. Did you by any chance turned the pulley bolt counter clockwise? Because if you did, your tensioner needs to be replaced.

2. When putting on the belt, did you get any oil on the belt? Lower by the pan and compressor, there could be alot of oil and dirt that can get on the belt when putting it on.

3. How did the alternator blow? Mine blew because liquid coolant or washing fluid was thrown on it. If that is the case with you, some might have gotten on other pulleys and is rubbing on the belt.

4. Check to see if the belt is rubbing against another part of the engine. A pulley might not be straight and the belt is rubbing against something.

I don't know what else it might be.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alternator didn't blow - it just wasn't holding a proper charge. I had it tested, so I replaced it. I purchased a new tensioner - put it on last night - and now it's working! Thanks for the help though!

·
39,045 Posts
Glad everything worked out ok.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts