A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I need advice from some of my fellow sentra owners, I took my car to the mechanics due to a constantly breaking serpentine belt upon his inspection he found that the belt tensioner needed to be replaced all kinds of crazy stuff going on with it. When he went to remove one of the bolts it snapped off, now I can't keep a belt on to save my life and he's saying he will need to lift the engine or drop it to get that bolt out because of how tight the space is in there. I looked and it does look tight but I know there has to be another way to get that old bolt and tensioner out so I can put in a new one. If anyone has any advice please help me out!!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I recently replaced my tensioner so I may be of a little help. Which bolt snapped off? I know you're able to get to one of the bolts from underneath the car (take off wheel, mud covers, etc.), you could run some tool to extract it from there. If it's the one closer to the water pump, you can take the water pump pulley off and get to it that way, you can also remove the coolant overflow tank to get some space. Again, this all depends on how bad the bolt is. If it's fully snapped (the head of the bolt is gone) then there are two options: lift the engine and extract or cut into the body of the car and do it from underneath.

Pics would also help to see if anyone has any suggestions for what tools to use. As a side note: make sure he doesn't charge you for this bolt-extraction and engine lifting service since it's his fault that the bolt snapped off.

Reactions: yogi b

·
Super Moderator
5,588 Posts
You can still pull the tensioner and use an extractor to pull what's left of the bolt if the shank is exposed when it is removed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice guys, the bolt is the bottom on of the two and I can't seem to get any good pictures. I'll try all of the above and see if I have any luck, Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Should be able to get to it, as far as extracting though it could be a bitch.

Even if you have to lower the engine, its as easy as removing the fasteners on the passenger side mount, support the engine with a jack, then remove the 4 crossmember bolts. Slowly lower it with the jack
You should be able to get quite a bit of space that way.

Reactions: yogi b

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
MIG weld a nut. Hold a nut over the flush broken bolt. Fill the nut with weld and back it out while hot. It's fast it's easy and always works
This trick works well because the weld will not stick to the aluminium nor will it stick to the cast iron blocks. Feed at around 3-3.5 .030 wire and a C setting even if you can't see it well just line the nut up good put out about 1/4 - 3/8 of the wire stick it in the hole in nut and let it rip with a slight swirling action. When you put the wrench on it turn back and forth like your tapping it. I have heard that feeding candle wax into the threads as it cool downs helps but never tried it. Pb blaster as it cools off will suck right into the threads if needed. Let us know how ya did.

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
Should be able to get to it, as far as extracting though it could be a bitch.

Even if you have to lower the engine, its as easy as removing the fasteners on the passenger side mount, support the engine with a jack, then remove the 4 crossmember bolts. Slowly lower it with the jack
You should be able to get quite a bit of space that way.
i had to do this to change out the alternator on the old vq swaps
not bad
was able to do it myself

1 - 8 of 8 Posts