A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to replace the serpentine belt on my 2005 spec-v. Just wondering if anyone here has done it -- I'm curious if you need to remove a bunch of stuff to get at it, or if it's as simple opening the hood, taking the old one off, and putting the new one on.

I always ask before doing this kind of thing now,....my last car was a 7th gen Celica, and I was not happy when I learned you must remove the entire front bumper cover just to change the headlight bulb! :crazy:

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
if you're looking for a how to, look at how to change a header. it will take you thru all steps to change/remove the belt.

·
Registered
275 Posts
did it yesterday for the first time, not hard at all....this is wat u need to do.. take passenger side wheel off, locate the tensioner, jump under the car with a 14 mm wrench, put it on the tensioner bolt to and pull some tension off the belt to get some slack in the belt...slip the belt off the AC compressor or crank pulley and wah-lah... to put a new one on my advice would be start from the top and put the belt on the alternator first...fish it down to the bottom of the car and then put it on the AC compressor, then the rest is easy to do...make it so the crank pulley is last. Easier if ur have a friend hold the tensioner loose while u put the belt on the crank pulley

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it's worse than I thought -- I heard some groaning and had trouble turning my steering wheel. Checked the power steering fluid and it is frothy / bubbly. I haven't noticed any leaks/drips on my garage floor, but this obviously means I have a leaking hose and/or need to replace the power steering pump. I'm only somewhat mechanically inclined; not sure if this is something I want to take on myself...

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
If you have a problem steering problem that needs to be fixed I wouldn't do it yourself unless you know how or watch someone do it. And I'm only saying that because of this thread.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, my troubles began by noticing that my power steering fluid was low. Took it in for an oil change and they said the power steering fluid was bubbly/forthy. I could heard weird noises when I turned the steering wheel. Eventually, I noticed power steering fluid leaking (a lot) wherever I parked. The leak was not under the engine bay, it was about midway under the car.

If you have any of those symptoms you should certainly have it looked at, ignoring it could lead to even further (and more expensive!) damage.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts