A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my new car. 2002 Nissan SE-R Spec-V 2.5L
When i bought it the Spec-V had an Short Ram Intake By AEM and a magnaflow Exhaust not sure if its is cat back or not. Here is a pic
I Haven't done much with it but i have a few plans. first i was looking at racing headers to match the exhaust. Any ideas? next i was looking at replacing the clutch I'm sure with 138k on it the clutch is about to go. i use the car as my daily driver but i like a stiff responsive clutch. (almost till i cant handle it) thoes are the two things on the top of my mind others are new break routers and some other things. What do you think?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Hey dude talk to this dude about headers MarkRacerX on Myspace. There are other ppl out there who has good quailty items but this dude has some. I brought an header and mid pipe form him and it came to my front door safe, and the price was good. Tell him i sent cha! :biggrin: Happy Modding :biggrin:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Hey dude talk to this dude about headers MarkRacerX on Myspace. There are other ppl out there who has good quailty items but this dude has some. I brought an header and mid pipe form him and it came to my front door safe, and the price was good. Tell him i sent cha! :biggrin: Happy Modding :biggrin:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i know it needs work but if you have any comments or ideas let me know. little at a time (not rich) in order. for example i would love to put on a turbo but i know they (for parts only) are about $2-$3k so that wouldn't be my first choice. but headers, cold air intake, better exhaust (if needed) Breaks, chips, Salsa (just kidding) but you know what i mean. oh ya cant forget thoes stickers they add like 1-2hp each.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
138k on the stock header? jesus christ, any precat damage? burning any oil? did you check the compression?

·
Premium Member
39,102 Posts
I was about to ask him the same question.

Check your compression. If it is still good. around 160 for each cylinder, then get rid of that pre-cat asap. That has to be your first purchase.

Good luck with your future mods man.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
he just bought the car how do you know it has a issue? It could of already been replaced by the previous owner or the dealer if it was recalled from previous owners. My mothers Spec that she sold to her friend has 150k miles on it and still counting with now issue. I would contact nissan and see if your car has or had any recall on it before you ditch the cat to see if there is or was a problem that was fixed. My car had 111k miles on it before I switched the to a header and when I took it off there were no issue's with it.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
he just bought the car how do you know it has a issue? It could of already been replaced by the previous owner or the dealer if it was recalled from previous owners. My mothers Spec that she sold to her friend has 150k miles on it and still counting with now issue. I would contact nissan and see if your car has or had any recall on it before you ditch the cat to see if there is or was a problem that was fixed. My car had 111k miles on it before I switched the to a header and when I took it off there were no issue's with it.
So because you were foolish and waited that long we shouldnt warn him?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
So because you were foolish and waited that long we shouldnt warn him?

No, I am saying not all cars had the recall and if he checked his vin and it didn't fall into the vin range his car is fine.

·
Premium Member
39,102 Posts
Why did you change yours? For performance or just to remove the pre-cat?

If nothing is wrong with his car, then he dodged one and should be safe rather than sorry later on IF the pre-cat decides to go bad.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I changed mine because it was my first spec and everyone said to. Did your car have precat failure if it did then thats your car, might not be his car. I am not trying to start a agrument I am just saying it might have already been changed.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I changed mine because it was my first spec and everyone said to. Did your car have precat failure if it did then thats your car, might not be his car. I am not trying to start a agrument I am just saying it might have already been changed.
plenty of precats have failed even after being replaced by nissan, the precat its self isnt faulty, the placement is, it fails because people think the spec is a race car so they beat on it and run it up to redline which causes the precat to overheat and eventually fail, do some research and educate yourself.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you keep that intake, might I suggest making a small bracket that goes from the MAF adapter to the threaded hole on the fender and get rid of the tie strap/wire.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
138k on the stock header? jesus christ, any precat damage? burning any oil? did you check the compression?
Ya this thing burns oil like the Iraqi military in Kuwaiti. unfortunately i haven't had the compression checked yet. im willing to bet there is precat damage lol. all part of its charm. still working on the little odds and ends. any suggestions?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you keep that intake, might I suggest making a small bracket that goes from the MAF adapter to the threaded hole on the fender and get rid of the tie strap/wire.
Ya thats on my list of things to do. im getting a high idle error code so im thinking of replacing the MAF i took some MAF cleaner to it and it didnt help. this is a second hand car and i am willing to bet the guy (or girl) who had it prior didn't really um focus on the condition of the car. i had a honda for 5 years the only reason i got rid of it was because i was in two accidents and the clutch was about to go. they kept inspecting it but between the accident damage and a $1500 clutch job it would have cost me $4-$5k so i bought this for $4200. not a bad deal i think. i may have in heartened a few problems but not as much as my Honda would have been.

·
Registered
302 Posts
. i may have in heartened a few problems but not as much as my Honda would have been.
I wouldn't be so sure. If it is burning that much oil and still has the precat with that many miles you may have more problems than you think. Do you have any other codes?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i had the info on the car looked up in 2004 the cars engine was redone. the cat was replaced all the seals replaced the lifters replaced the cylinders were polished at 45,000. i think the cat had already went and was replaced part of warranty work.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts