A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im having a problem with my 04 spec. it started not starting on the first try so i replaced the cam and crank sensor . it started shutting off while accelerating so i replaced them again .the problem is still going on but my starting issue is gone . the other day it shut off and when i started it back up it had a swollen a new coil pack on cyl #4. im not sure it was related but want to give as much information as i can . the facebook groups are no help i just been told to check my grounds ive check the lot of them . im at a loss with this thing any help would be great . btw the car has a fuel pump and headgasket that has been replaced in the past 3 years . ive been told to check that also

·
Super Moderator
5,588 Posts
With no codes.... if so that is strange, with a swollen coil pack(OEM or not) and random shut downs it sounds more like a voltage issue and or short. As generic as it sounds pull the batt and alternator and get them tested.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
The ground at the trans ro frame is also a key player. Check for corrosion and really look at it. Check actual fuel pressure with a gauge.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Crank must be oem

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With no codes.... if so that is strange, with a swollen coil pack(OEM or not) and random shut downs it sounds more like a voltage issue and or short. As generic as it sounds pull the batt and alternator and get them tested.
yeah no codes at all ive tried to get it on video but its almost random . the battery is new one day it was just dead at 6v so i had it replaced . but i will get the alternator tested

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The ground at the trans ro frame is also a key player. Check for corrosion and really look at it. Check actual fuel pressure with a gauge.
i will remove that ground and have it cleaned . the car has a aftermarket stereo system so it has "The big three upgrade" and at first i used 30$ ebay sensors .and when it still had problems i got a lifetime warranty brand from orilleys that was about 55$ each

·
Registered
2 Posts
i will remove that ground and have it cleaned . the car has a aftermarket stereo system so it has "The big three upgrade" and at first i used 30$ ebay sensors .and when it still had problems i got a lifetime warranty brand from orilleys that was about 55$ each
Have you figured it out yet? Some Nissans have a condenser as part of the ground circuit for the ignition coils. I know my 02 doesn't have one, but idk if yours is different. When it fails, it is the equivalent of voltage going straight to ground but it can also cause the coil to overheat.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I have seen them fail on Altimas at work and they usually are melted. They usually cost around $15-18.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Was the top of the coil swollen or the boot? Also how is the spark plug in the cylinder? Ive only heard about melting coil packs twice but never got diagnose them or heard the result. Im very curious. something is shorting or has lower resiatance to ground. Maybe the plug is no bueno and,has no resistance in it? Was it a legit new coil or cheap one?
I also like the condesor idea, but if only one coil was messed up them im not sure it would be that. Wiring diagram shows that its on circuit for all 4 coils.i would assume all four would be down or running poorly.
Idk, juat throwing ideas at what i would probably,atart checking first. Hopefuly the coil was an,indicator of the issue and not another one on top of another

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i will look into that .the problem is just getting worse im scared to drive it like i use to
Have you figured it out yet? Some Nissans have a condenser as part of the ground circuit for the ignition coils. I know my 02 doesn't have one, but idk if yours is different. When it fails, it is the equivalent of voltage going straight to ground but it can also cause the coil to overheat.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I have seen them fail on Altimas at work and they usually are melted. They usually cost around $15-18.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i also like this condenser idea ill be looking at diagrams tonight . but them problem is getting worse . in 6th gear under a load it bucks/jerks once and i just let off the throttle .the plugs are new and they coil packs were on the cheaper side but new . im watching my voltage constalty and it never has a sudden drop but i did see it down to 13.6V if thats an issue it stays around 13.9-14.0
Was the top of the coil swollen or the boot? Also how is the spark plug in the cylinder? Ive only heard about melting coil packs twice but never got diagnose them or heard the result. Im very curious. something is shorting or has lower resiatance to ground. Maybe the plug is no bueno and,has no resistance in it? Was it a legit new coil or cheap one?
I also like the condesor idea, but if only one coil was messed up them im not sure it would be that. Wiring diagram shows that its on circuit for all 4 coils.i would assume all four would be down or running poorly.
Idk, juat throwing ideas at what i would probably,atart checking first. Hopefuly the coil was an,indicator of the issue and not another one on top of another

·
Super Moderator
5,588 Posts
Replace the coils

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
The coil packs need to not be cheap. Never seen one split like that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wowzers. Never seen that before. Get some,hitachi's. What kind of plugs u put in there? Curious.

·
Super Moderator
5,588 Posts
I just remembered I have OEM coils around that are good, but I also have 2nd gen coils too...i hope they are still separated...

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Are gen 2 coils better in any way?

·
Super Moderator
5,588 Posts
....eh yes...kinda...

When I did it a long time ago when I was living in NC, there was an AFR difference just from the packs alone with what ever my setup was and that all I can remember. Outside of that they are just a PITA to remove due to tip diameter difference between the spark plugs of 1st and 2nd gen.

·
Super Moderator
5,588 Posts
Yeah, I think it's the o2 sensor...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ive never heard of a o2 sensor causing a car to shut off . i was thinking the computer could be bad . just throwing ideas out im close to parking the car for a while and picking up later on

·
Super Moderator
5,588 Posts
I have, part of the issue my car was with 2j for so long was a harness issue... you may have a short in the harness some where or a pin disconnected.... or just the o2 sensor died early.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts