A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was driving from Seattle Washington to eastern Washington. about 120 miles into the trip, my power steering goes out, and my oil temp goes extremely high. so i throw it in neutral and coast about 2 miles to the rest stop. turns out my serpentine belt broke and popped a hole in my radiator/radiator hose. i get it towed to Kennewick and have towed again to a mechanic. turns out that i spun a rod bearing. he said from running to high of rpm for too long. or a lack of oil. but i just changed the oil in the begining of June with full synthetic. now im in need of a new motor. he said he could get the qr25 for 2500. the qr20 for 1300. and the 1.8 for about 600. now i just need to figure out what i need to do. because money is an issue. quit my job because i moved back to the seattle for the summer. so whats the best route to go? or does anybody want to buy my car with the bad motor? in washington.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I just spun a rod bearing last month . Ur best option is call junkyards they go used
For about $1500 . The swap is rely easy . I am rebuilding my motor but the other
Options were junk motor and have it running in 2 days do a quick swap, or take the
Oil pan out and head and replace the bad bearings .

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how hard is it to replace the bearing? its possibly drivable but i should probably tow it. and my AAA only allows for 100 miles.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
time for a credit card for you to get your car rebuilt.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ive been applying for credit cards for a few months now. no luck. i need to fix my car though. or sell it as a project and buy something new.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Its not that hard . Just a lot of time . Like I said cheapest option
Is a junk motor take old one out put new one in have it running in
One or two days

·
39,082 Posts
Where in WA are you located?

·
39,082 Posts
That is some ways away from where I am.

But as other said, try to get a good and fairly decent price QR and drop it in there. Another route is to try and repair the bad parts on the engine your currently have.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i see your in bothell. what did you have in mind? your only about 40 minutes from my place in north bend

·
Registered
291 Posts
id say buy a rebuild and have your pup running...i fixed the bearing on my car a while back and my motor still poped afterwards 2 months later...its alot of work to replace a bearing >>>>>imo<<<<<<get a used engine and drop it in it will run the same i couldnt tell the diffrence on mine...

ps.....i drive my car like an ahole so that might be a reason why it blew on me... maybe i didnt break it in right or something but good luck and keep your sentra...

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Id make sure your not getting dicked first....

The mechanics reasoning for a spun bearing doesn't really fit with the incident. Sounds like a load of bullshit to me.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
plus if you were taking a trip you werent in high rpms to begin with...plus u just changed the oil so i dought it was low on oil...i say get it checked by someone else ...this could be a easy belt fix and be on your way

Reactions: Jager

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I def don't wanna get screwed on this. There's a Nissan guy in town that I'm gonna have look at it too. I can hear it rattlin when I start the car. It still runs and drives. Just not good at all. Do you think I should put the belt in and see if that helps the problem? Or swap and sr20ve in it? It's just gonna take some time once I'm not working right now.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Do you know why it spun a bearing? That just doesn't randomly happen, oil delivery problem?, did you have fuel dilution?, low oil?, detonation?, lagging the engine too much can cause it too

1 - 20 of 83 Posts