A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I got the Pathfinder back together and it does run good except when doing a fast acceleration. The engine balks really bad like it is about to die. but when I ease up on the gas it goes back to running good. When in Neutral I can increase the rpms as far as I want to but I can hit the gas fast or it will balk until I ease off.

Question, on the power valve actuator, is that actuator supposed to work easily by hand? I have to use a screw driver and pry it to work and then it sticks where ever I leave it, it does not close or open by itself. What could I have done to it when installing the intake to make it so hard to move it.

I did back all the small screws out and put loctite on them just for peace of mind. I changed out all of the small vacuum hoses and thought I may have them wrong but only found two in the wrong place. It didn't change anything though. Any suggestions? Does that actuator supposed to move easily or stiff?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Does any one know of a good forum for Pathfinders. I have found a few but there isn't much traffic on any of them. I need to find out how the power valve works on the 2003 3.5 engine. If I can find out how it works, maybe I can figure out why it isn't working. It worked before I put the seals on the valve covers but it don't now. I would appreciate any help.

·
Super Moderator
5,470 Posts
There is or was a delete for the valve IIRC, it wasn't vehicle specific but was advertised for the Altima/Maxima IIRC...

I think it does similar to the butterfly valve actuator on the 1st gen with vacuum and a signal from the ECM at a specific RPM.

You can do the same relearn process on that motor/vehicle as you do with your Sentra with out a Consult II/III since I might be compensating for the "extra" unmetered air.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Ill try and check it out tomorrow. No codes?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Cricki, I wish I knew 1/4 as much as you do about Nissans, I don't have a clue what you just said. lol As far as what rpm the engine kicks out I just went out and gave it a try. I can sit in neutral and rev the engine slowly as high as I want to under normal acceleration, but if I try to punch it a little it will cut out no matter what rpm it is in at the time. I tried it at 1000 rpm, the 2000 etc up to 6000 rpm it does it no matter what the rpm is.

The one I am talking about not working, as far as I know, is the shiny one that is by the oil filler tube in the photo below. That rod does not move easily, I had to use a screw driver to pry it open. I can't say if it works or not when it is running because I don't have any one to rev the engine as I watch it.
Power Valve actuator.jpg

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I found out what my problem is, the butterflies are sticking. I took the arm off the actuator and it moves freely like it is supposed to. The problem is the power valve is sticking. I took the top of the intake back off and sprayed the shaft with PB Blaster and worked the butterflies by hand back and forth until they freed up some. I put it all back together and it worked great. We took the truck for a spin and in about 6 miles it started loosing power big time. We limped on back home and I checked and the power valve is sticking open again.

Looks like I will need to take it back apart and take the shaft out and do a really good cleaning and get the power valve working right. When I cleaned it up, I used the stuff that is used to clean the MAF. Bad move as it cleaned all the lubricant off the shaft. Well anyway, I know what is wrong and what has to be done. Always something.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I went out to take the top half of the intake off and decided to check the power valve again before tearing into it.To my surprise the butterflies opened easily. I worked them several times and decided to go for a drive to see if they would stick again. We made a pretty good trip and they never stuck again. I hope they never do. I can't figure out why they stuck other than cleaning them with MAF cleaner. Maybe the Deep Creep Penetrating oil soaked in and is working now.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts