A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Sentra SE-R spec-v
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

Finally got an engine for my spec. It's from an auto Altima. The auto pilot bushing is stuck in the crank like crazy. Going through a bunch of threads here, it seams the manuals don't even have one. If that's true, it means my pilot bushing from RockAuto is not actually for this car. Fully possible.

My question about that is if it's not, what centers the clutch alignment tool? Even the auto pilot is larger than the tip of the tool. If I do end up getting it out, the hole in the crank is going to be bigger still. (Won't even budge with my blind hole bearing removal tool)

·
Registered
80 Posts
The clutch kits come with the pilot bearing but you don’t need to use it. I just put some electrical tape on the end of the tool to make up for the larger hole. I’m going through the same thing with the auto pilot bearing on my Sr20ve. It’s REALLY in there. The 6 speed for the spec doesn’t have a nub on the shaft that goes into the crank so you might not even have to worry about it. But I’d probably get it out of there just to be safe.

·
Registered
2005 Sentra SE-R spec-v
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The clutch kits come with the pilot bearing but you don’t need to use it. I just put some electrical tape on the end of the tool to make up for the larger hole. I’m going through the same thing with the auto pilot bearing on my Sr20ve. It’s REALLY in there. The 6 speed for the spec doesn’t have a nub on the shaft that goes into the crank so you might not even have to worry about it. But I’d probably get it out of there just to be safe.
I'll probably just do that then. I was hitting it with the slide hammer for what seemed like forever, and it didn't even budge. If I don't install the new pilot bushing, I might as well leave it in there. With your method of electrical tape, it will even be more accurate to use the auto pilot since the hole will be smaller and need less tape.

·
6,866 Posts
I usually just drill a couple of small holes on the bushing sleeve itself on opposite locations, then just wack it and they split in two and just come out. Also the spec trans don't even have the pilot shaft off the input shaft anyway. Those are only there to help carry the weight on long transmissions (i.e. RWD trans).

·
Registered
2005 Sentra SE-R spec-v
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I usually just drill a couple of small holes on the bushing sleeve itself on opposite locations, then just wack it and they split in two and just come out. Also the spec trans don't even have the pilot shaft off the input shaft anyway. Those are only there to help carry the weight on long transmissions (i.e. RWD trans).
Ended up doing it this way. Major pain. That auto pilot bushing is very strange. Whatever alloy they used is substantially softer than steel, but harder than aluminum. It's also slightly magnetic so it has some iron but I don't think that's the primary ingredient. Even when I had about half folded in, the rest still didn't want to come free.

I did end up installing the manual pilot bushing, even though the input shaft on the transmission doesn't use it. The clutch alignment tool from the clutch kit does use it, and it's going to give the most accurate clutch alignment. The electrical tape method didn't appeal to me, and the Nissan tool is more money than I want to spend, for a clutch job I won't likely do again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts