A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
That was going to be my next troubleshooting task after watching a few youtube videos of people experiencing the same thing and doing that.

Will report back after I'm able to try that!

·
Registered
2005 Sentra SE-R spec-v
30 Posts
Next time it happens, tap on the starter a few times with a hammer and see if anything changes. If it cranks right afterwards it's likely the starter solenoid sticking. You'll need to replace the starter at that point.

If that doesn't change anything, check the voltage drop on your cables. Put your multimeter on volts and place one lead on the positive battery post, and then the other at the study on the starter solenoid that the battery cable connects to. Have someone crank the starter. Your reading shouldn't be much more than about 0.3V.

Repeat with one meter lead on the negative battery post, and another on a clean ground around the starter. A transmission bellhousing bolt head would work well. Also shouldn't be much more than about 0.3V.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well, my starter started to make a grinding noise when I would try to start the car. This wouldn't happen every time; maybe once every 5 or so starts. I took the starter to Autozone and it failed their test so I threw on a new one and it seems to be working fine now. This new one has a much louder whine though which I thought was odd but I was told that it was normal.

·
Registered
04 spec v
108 Posts
Well it's possible, but if it's stupid loud or you just don't feel good about it. Yank it off and take it back. Swap it out.

If the next ones the same then at least you'll feel better about it sounding different.
Not the best answer but it's all I got.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I listened to a few other videos of people saying their new remanufactured one sounded louder and mine sounds pretty similar to those videos.

I'll post a video next time I take the car out.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts