A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know a few of us have not been so privileged, and some way or another ended up with a rattle canned hood.

This isn't a how to, but just some discussion for those who have done it, or are considering it (I would recommend against it, unless you have a garbage hood).

I personally intended to be able to "restore" a CF hood I picked up, and have it professionally painted. It turned out it was hopeless, and I was just stuck with an ugly hood. On that note I rattle canned it with some flat black paint and went on my way. Before I traded my car in, I tried to find an OEM black hood from a junker with no cigar. So I attempted one more time at the rattle can.

I work at Sherwin Williams and we carry this product, All Surface Enamel gloss black. So I bought a couple cans and went to town.

If I intended to keep the car, I would have done a light sand, and prime before. Since it was only going to be in my possession a couple weeks, I just washed it with water and a rag.

I removed the hood, and went to town. I sprayed it horizontally (driver side to passenger side, passenger side to drivers, etc) in 3 sections, driver side, middle, and passenger (divided by the little ducts in the middle) and I stayed standing at the back, fire wall side (any overspray you have will be coated on your next pass. If you switch in the middle of the hood to the front bumper side you will get overspray on the coat you just put down).

I put about 5 or 6 good coats. the first 3 or 4 you could see the lines left from the spray paint cans, even while overlapping each pass by 50% or so. By my last coat though they were pretty much gone.

Before:

After:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
274 Posts
Damn that looks pretty clean for just being rattle canned. Good job!

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Wow what a difference!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Where da hell were you a few months ago??

Looks nice.

I'm wrapping the hood now lol

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
If this was cut and polished it would look like a pro job. Try a coat of clear, then wet sand 2000-2500 grit, cutting compound (Meguairs Ultimate Compound), then polish

12966404_10208816490547685_1995851657_n.jpg

12966437_10208816491027697_372214732_n.jpg

13020118_10208824879037392_827935772_n.jpg

One could honestly not tell the difference with the bumper (pro shop paint job), to my rattle can job with the Nismo lip

·
Registered
36 Posts
I sprayed mine black with cheap black spray pain, Looks nice when it rains, but I never put a clear coat over, LOL. Just had to respond to this one. I'm going to get it redone though properly, because paint is coming off on a part because an asshole decided to sit on my car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts