A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

121 - 140 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
So I bought some Eibach lowering springs, and I'm nearing finally being able to install them. I was wondering if you guys could answer a few questions for me though.

1) How do I tell if I got pro kit, or sportlines?

2) I did this for handling improvement, I like to really push it in the twistys. Lowering the car is just an added bonus to get rid of my 4x4 look. With my factory struts (90k miles) will my cornering abilities be improved? How will my ride quality be compared to stock springs. If cornering is improved, what are some specific things that will be noticeably better?

Excuse my ignorance, help a Sentra brotha out here :nervous:

·
BDSF
11,451 Posts
Prokit springs are black, Sportlines are red. Honestly, handling improvement with springs alone is minimal, especially since suspension geometry goes out the window the lower you go. I used to bottom out on my Sportlines all the time during hard cornering and wore my struts out in less than 20k. Ride quality also isn't too great, but not terrible depending on the roads you drive on.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply Karl, very informative.

My springs are certainly red so I have the Sportlines (better of the two from what I've heard woop woop). What are the handling chacteristics that I will notice an improvment on? Hopefully I won't notice anything that actually got worse...(I don't give two shits about ride quality so other than that).

With these springs and some koni yellows, would I have a good setup? I mean track worthy? Cause the stock set-up gets pretty hairy about 110-115mph in the bends.

Thanks again for your time, I am a sponge right now, soaking it all up :)

·
BDSF
11,451 Posts
You'll notice a bit less body roll and better stability during acceleration and braking due to the stiffer rates, but they are still progressive springs with fairly soft rates overall. If you plan to go with Konis, I would honestly just save a few extra hundred for a decent set of TDMi or BC coils. You will never get close to the handling a properly setup coilover system will get you with a spring/strut combo, not to mention you will have a lot more adjustability.

·
Registered
44 Posts
So would it be ok to run my stock struts until I get funds together for BC coils? Which is ultimately what I want anyways, ordered from 2JR. Keep in mind it might take me 6months+ to get the funds together

·
Registered
475 Posts
I don't care about the height, but what springs are the best for launching? When I launch, the weight transfer to the rear takes the weight off the front, and I lose traction. I figure if I stiffen the rear to keep the weight to the front, maybe I could have better traction.
I don't want to pay for full coilovers. So, what springs are best for that? (I don't care about cornering)
Do the shocks matter in this too? If so, what shocks?
Right now I have stock shocks and prokit springs. The ride is much too soft for drag racing.

·
BDSF
11,451 Posts
So would it be ok to run my stock struts until I get funds together for BC coils? Which is ultimately what I want anyways, ordered from 2JR. Keep in mind it might take me 6months+ to get the funds together
That would be fine, and is exactly what I did until I could afford coils.

·
BDSF
11,451 Posts
I don't care about the height, but what springs are the best for launching? When I launch, the weight transfer to the rear takes the weight off the front, and I lose traction. I figure if I stiffen the rear to keep the weight to the front, maybe I could have better traction.
I don't want to pay for full coilovers. So, what springs are best for that? (I don't care about cornering)
Do the shocks matter in this too? If so, what shocks?
Right now I have stock shocks and prokit springs. The ride is much too soft for drag racing.
Glen, your only option would be to get some Ground Control coilover sleeves so you could run any linear spring you'd like on your stock struts. I'm not sure how involved the install would be or how easy it is to swap springs on that type of setup however. There are no off the shelf lowering springs with good rates for drag, period. Your Prokits already have some of the stiffest rates for lowering springs, so that's about the best you can expect before upgrading to coils.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Having a hard time finding the swift springs. I want a very very modest drop. Any ideas where to go? Also, other than Nissan dealers, is there a source for the nismo susp. setup? Thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
2J Street Springs

I got the street springs from 2j and want to know if I should run koni yellows as well? Or what struts would match well with them?

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
I got the street springs from 2j and want to know if I should run koni yellows as well? Or what struts would match well with them?
I'm excited to hear review on these.

I imagine you're on the right track already with what dampers to run. You also could try them out on your stock dampers if they aren't blown. No idea what Joe tested them with.

Joe probly knows the best dampers to match with them. I'd ask 2j. But there are lots of options. Adjustability is nice. I'd go with adjustable dampers personally. I think you've got the right idea already.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Just to inform you guys. I heard back from 2J about their new lowering springs.

Ride Height (F): -1.3in (-34mm)
Spring Rate (R): 269lbs/in (4.8kgf/mm)
Ride Height (R): -1.1in (-29mm)
Spring Rate (F): 168lbs/in (3kgf/mm)

They claim that they've used them with stock struts and there's no bottoming out at all. I don't really see how this is possible because of it happening with koni's and pro-kits (with a higher spring rate and similar drop).

...Back to the BC's I guess.

Reactions: DaveSpecB15

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
In all fairness......you can easily bottom out completely stock suspension as well. You can bottom out almost anything under the right circumstances. So......I would assume they mean they don't bottom out in unreasonable circumstances.

I bottomed out my stock suspension plenty on bumps. But probly never with spirited driving on a smooth surface. They probly mean they don't bottom out in cornering. And yeah I know you are saying Konis and Pro-kits do....so.....I do take whoever's word for it and follow what you're saying (think I saw that thread too)

But yes....lowering springs are never the best option. But still I am anxious for a review on the 2j springs

(regardless of that I always steer people a way from lowering springs....some are better than others...need a review do people know how these are compared to others).

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
And ya know.....

They say they are progressive, but the don't look progressive.

If progressive... I wonder if the rate the told you is the initial rate or the final rate. I would "assume" final but...

·
Registered
2 Posts
One of these can be added to the list. Mine are the first pics I've seen of Swift springs. This is on stock wheels and tires. Feel free to delete this post afterwards.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Springs: Skunk 2 Sport.

Pro's: Decent drop enough to bring the fender to the tire.
Nice ride quality still as smooth as stock
Not to steep of a drop, known to be ran on OEM struts without premature wear.

Cons: To soft for hard corning, even with the drop the spring rate does almost nothing for side to side performance, about same as stock but lower.
To soft for rough roads, makes it very easy to bottom out.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Interested to know what spring rates you have used with coilovers.
Also are the roads you usually drive with them relatively smooth/flat or with some bumps.
What benefits have you found with the different spring rates and what down-sides.

Why were the OEM spring rates softer on the front than the rear ?

121 - 140 of 140 Posts