A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ya'll, hope you're weathering the pandemic alright.

I was hoping to get anyone's thoughts on my B16 Spec V starter intermittently not responding to turning the key to the start position. I've already tested the ignition switch with a multimeter and signal is being sent every time in every position - so we're in the clear there. The previous owner had a CompuStar system (which includes an immobilizer) installed which I have worried may be the cause of this issue, but the times the car doesn't start are not because I'm doing the start-up sequence incorrectly. Furthermore, the way I get the car to start is simply by trying to turn it over repeatedly (up to like 60 times today when it wouldn't start (but another note, it was also 8 Fahrenheit this morning so that too may help diagnose this) until the starter finally responds and turns the engine over. When I turn the key and the starter doesn't engage, there are no sounds at all from the starter, but the electronics in the car do respond normally to turning the key to the start position. The car starter doesn't respond maybe 1/100 times I try to start the car, so I really do mean intermittent.

I also had the battery, starter, and alternator tested at an Advance Auto in the fall and every test came back a-ok, but the starter was responding normally during those tests. I've only been working on cars for two years now which is why I'm hoping this will be a simple diagnosis to someone with more experience - thank you so much for reading and hopefully leaving a response!!

·
6,829 Posts
It is possible that the compustar system is failing. It seems that you're handy with a DMM, so I would recommend bypassing the alarm system and see if it's preventing the signal going to the starter intermittently.

The only other thing I could think of is, if the battery cable to the starter or the signal to the solenoid has been damaged. Have you tested those?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hmm 🤔 Compustar is a pretty cool company and DroneMobile rocks!!! If you suspect the Compustar to be failing take the vehicle to the authorised sales / service for testing.

Phantom 🧟‍♀️ problems rarely surface during times when a tech is seeking to find or duplicate the issues(s) too check the nuts 🥜🌰 on the solenoid where the cables attach and be sure they are tight and not loose and the trigger signal female plug is clean no debris inside good electrical connection and solid.

I am adding my $0.02 so please so keep up posted book your spot for your Compustar service center and inspect clean and assurethose connections are secure.

My car had intermittent starter failure issues due to solenoid post being loose wiggley and connections too were loose tightened up ⬆ problem solved...!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts