A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to fix my sunroof, because well,... dang gone it...I want a sunroof! :mad: Anyway, I was able to get access to the sunroof motor and gears by sticking a flathead, and slightly prying open the roof center panel and pushing the metal clip forward (towrds the front of the car)....to tilt the back side of the panel down

...then, all I had to do was pull the panel down and back and I was able to just let it hang by the wires.

I used a Torque (star) bit to open the metal plate covering the gears (BE CAREFUL BECAUSE THEY DO FALL OUT EASILY... it happend to me!)

So when I inspected each gear, they all had issues. Either cracked, teeth missing, or totally stripped as in the metal one that went inside the final gear (towards back).

So I took this metal gear out, should I go to the dealership to get this piece alone (if I can) or is there like an aftermarket kit that will replace all plastic gears to metal. Has anyone else done this before? Any tips/advice would be helpful, thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The dealership does not sell the gears seperately, they wanted to sell me the whole assembly for over $400 dollars...thats a joke! No way in hell for a part that would normally cost $2! There has to be a fix for this, I know other people with sunroofs get stripped gears all the time!

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
No need to bump it an hour later..

Unfortunately the gears do strip and unfortunately you will have to buy the sunroof motor for replacement. And ill sell you my whole assembly for 75

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
yep, your pretty much fucked with the sunroof. i just dont fuckin open mine so that i dont have to worry about stripping the gears.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No way! I don't understand why people flip out when something so simple can be fixed! If anything... I can JB Weld that metal gear to the plastic gear for less than $5, but thats rigging it and I don't like to fix things like a cheap bastard. Gears can be found anywhere, hobby toy stores, tool stores, junkyards...etc. The whole purpose of a a forum is to come up with SOLUTIONS! I'm not going to be like...oh, i'm scared my gears will strip so I'm just not going to use it. You might as well not even drive the dam car because the engine might die! And no, I'm not going to replace the whole dam assembly for $400 or even $70 dollars, thats the way dealerships think. My brother has a BMW M3 and joined M3forum.net,...and let me tell you, people on those forums are pretty dam smart. I don't know if its because of the type of people that drive those cars but so far i'm not very impressed with this forum! my 2 cents.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Bashing on people who try to help you won't get you too far.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Here's a solution -- buy a solid metal pipe, turn it down to the sizes of the respectful gears, drill respectful holes in them, then file down sections to make raised teeth. Problem solved.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Bashing on people who try to help you won't get you too far.
Gtfo. If you are complaing about putting up 75 dollars to fix your car, you ARE a cheap bastard and sure as hell wouldn't fit in with a BMW club. Sharkey is making you a great offer, 75 for a 400 dollar part.

Sent via Tapatalk

·
Registered
300 Posts
make some out of very hard wood maybe. Who the fuck knows

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gtfo. If you are complaing about putting up 75 dollars to fix your car, you ARE a cheap bastard and sure as hell wouldn't fit in with a BMW club. Sharkey is making you a great offer, 75 for a 400 dollar part.

Sent via Tapatalk
No, I like to use my brain before replacing unecessary parts. You want to spend $75, go for it! By the end of the fix, I'll be $70 dollars richer...even if it takes me a week to figure out a solution! That's how the rich get rich and how the poor get poorer! And before you start trash talking, you don't know anything about my financial status or know anything about my family wealth. I'm not bashing on anyone, and I appoligize if I came out that way. I just want people to "think" before coming up with the simple/quick "go replace it" or "you're screwed" response!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's a solution -- buy a solid metal pipe, turn it down to the sizes of the respectful gears, drill respectful holes in them, then file down sections to make raised teeth. Problem solved.
Its possible! But very time consuming! I would defintely consider this if all else fails.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
It is what it is. There aren't replacement parts so you have to replace the whole thing if you want to do it right and make it last. I could care less dude, my sunroof works great.

Sent via Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After doing further research, I found out this company,....IMS Gear GmbH Donaueschingen, a German company is the one who designed the gears on our cars. There are offices in Gainesville, Georgia too from what I read. I sent them an email and hope to get a response back. If they can make some kind of a kit, that would be awesome! Save everyone with the same problem, a lot of money!

PS. Their website: IMS Gear GmbH Donaueschingen | Home

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
No, I like to use my brain before replacing unecessary parts. You want to spend $75, go for it! By the end of the fix, I'll be $70 dollars richer...even if it takes me a week to figure out a solution! That's how the rich get rich and how the poor get poorer! And before you start trash talking, you don't know anything about my financial status or know anything about my family wealth. I'm not bashing on anyone, and I appoligize if I came out that way. I just want people to "think" before coming up with the simple/quick "go replace it" or "you're screwed" response!
The rich get richer by f**king everyone else, not being frugal. Good luck on the kit. If that comes to fruition, it will be a good find.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
just today i started looking into getting some gears CNCed for this problem, the only problem is its going to cost a pretty penny and we all know how sentra owners are when it comes to money.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No...but i endee up getting them for free at a junkyard. Even though it wasnt perfect (1 tooth missing), it was still functional. Sold the car 1 mo later and got a truck.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts