A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Since I'm guessing the workings are not necessarily super precise... can you not just laser cut some? laser cutting them from a sheet wouldn't cost more than $30-$40 set (if the gear design allow for such a method, I don't have a sunroof on mine so I don't know)

·
Registered
5,226 Posts

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
BTW... if you dig into the site you'll see this little gem...

SunroofGears.com is a branch of Rennbay, inc. , a manufacturer of aftermarket plastic automotive components for import automobiles. With over 20 years in the plastics business and 5 in the automotive sector alone, we have the knowledge and capability to make just about anything out of plastic.

If you know of a hard to find or expensive plastic part that is in demand let us know. We may be able to help.

[email protected]

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'm removing my sunroof and everything that has to do with it. Everything works perfectly. There is a local place called locash racing that does cnc stuff and doesnt charge too much. Would it help people out if I take any of those parts to them to make? I'm not too familiar to that kind of thing, but wouldn't it be easy to duplicate a part if you have one in good condition?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I'm removing my sunroof and everything that has to do with it. Everything works perfectly. There is a local place called locash racing that does cnc stuff and doesnt charge too much. Would it help people out if I take any of those parts to them to make? I'm not too familiar to that kind of thing, but wouldn't it be easy to duplicate a part if you have one in good condition?

take the gears by and see what they say.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
My moon roof is fked up too. Porbably the gears. Why cant you like JB weld it and file it down? Lol where is the creativity?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Looks like you can drill a small hole and press fit a thin pin, no?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not to revive a old thread, but would it be possible for someone with a good set of gears to have them scanned so that replacements could be 3D printed?

If anyone on the forum has (or has access to) a good 3D printer, I bet they could have a nice little side business printing gearsets for our POS sunroofs.

·
Registered
114 Posts
New thread old thread I am really not concerned about the age of any thread for that matter, this is a resource for information. However my concern is if there is a solution regarding the gears has anybody moved forward?

Spending $200.00 for a set of metal gears, I would... Besides much of America spends at least that a week in junk-food, alcohol, and smokes why not spend it where you'll see some benefit? Anybody serious let me know, -Gregory

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
New thread old thread I am really not concerned about the age of any thread for that matter, this is a resource for information. However my concern is if there is a solution regarding the gears has anybody moved forward?

Spending $200.00 for a set of metal gears, I would... Besides much of America spends at least that a week in junk-food, alcohol, and smokes why not spend it where you'll see some benefit? Anybody serious let me know, -Gregory
I just keep spare working used motors.

@ViperVenom has been working on 3d modeling and printing some. Idk if he is done. Metal gears could be made from his 3d file.

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
haha beat me to it. I was just about to call him out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hello all, I found this eBay seller selling what I am left to believe are the GEAR - STACKS that we use, all minus the METAL GEAR which I will message her about today. My oem sunroof motor as well as the boneyard motor both have split gears and a metal gear with one tooth broken. I will purchase a set of these for my B15U the listing shows B15U and she says they are for the B15U so here you go all but I will purchase a set and let you all know...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Convertible-Motor-Drive-Rear-Repair-Kit-Cog-for-Nissan-B15U-B15X-N16-/132226941295?hash=item1ec957016f:g:pXsAAOSwHLNZP~55

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Thanks!!!!
Let us know ;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Good evening team, the set has been purchased must await their arrival from Germany... I am awaiting a reply on the metal cog now will update after I receive a reply on that. When I do get the sets I will photograph them and post pictures here and of course the test!!!!!!!! But until then brb,

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hello DaveSpecB15,

I owe you MAJOR apologies sir, life kept me so caught up I failed to update this thread!!! Yes the part (gear cog) for the sunroof worked perfectly. Required some thick grease but all went well and was done for a fraction of the OEM price to replace the motor. But yes the gear I got on eBay from that seller out of USA was a perfect fit. I purchased two, one the fitment was a little tight the other was drop-in so the one that enabled the motor to work with less effort I put that one in place, the other the gear mesh fitment was a bit tight causing the motor to work harder but both cogs worked. Again apologies for late reply on this I gotta catch up here...

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Glad to hear they work!

Now to find out if @ViperVenom can beat $65 +$15 shipping

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
The catch is, I'd need the old bushings as a core. I'm not going to source bushing. Not worth the effort.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
That eBay kit doesn't seem to have a bushing.
Interesting.

For $80 I could get 2, 3, if lucky (unlikely) 4 used sunroof motors. Definitely could get 2.

For $20....yeah I'd buy gears and ship a core.

But lol, I have several spare motors to use before I need gears. I probably should open them up and actually look at the gears. Could need some and not know. I do know my red car needs to be swapped. Just haven't gotten around to it. Never use the sunroof. Just paranoid one day it will get stuck open lol. So....SPARES ON DECK!

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
Last time I used it it sounded like it was stripping teeth and I had to help it close. Are you currently able to produce the gears if they are sent to you?

21 - 40 of 53 Posts