A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 2000 Sentra 1.8L GXE now for a couple months, I have had a CEL light on the whole time :shhh: Don't judge me! lol However, two codes are O2 sensors and the other is the Swirl Control Valve (P1130). Well after HOURS of research I figured out what that is and what it does. I finally figured out the part number and since i work for a Dealer, which owns a Nissan store, I decided to pull the trigger and fix this myself. MORE research and i figured out where the solenoid is, decided to give a go this morning with my "Sunday Mechanic" fingers at the ready. Well, I get out there, hood up and buried my head first into the engine bay all excited and.... the parts look the same all except for a slight difference!! The one on the vehicle now has 2 vacuum line tubes on the one end, as does the new part I bought, however, the one on the vehicle has no other connectors. The NEW part has a solid metal connector where the original does not. (Attached pics to help visually!)

My question is, has anyone else replaced this SCVS and what does the metal spout go to, or is it a new modification by Nissan due to a bad part originally?

Thanks for your help in advance!!

New Part from Nissan...
IMG_6241.jpg

Spout that is a new addition...
IMG_6243.jpg

Old part still on car...
IMG_6237.jpg

Old part with Plastic spouts to Vacuum Lines...
IMG_6239.jpg

Old part with no spout on side...
IMG_6236.jpg

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
First bench test the old one and check voltage on plug. Then do the same on new one with the extra fitting plugged. Maybe it is usable but best idea is to get the matching part. You can look the part up on rock auto .com and there should be some good pics to compare it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the part Nissan gave me. They searched for all types and this is the one they said. I'm just concerned the extra tube is supposed to be connected?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'd just cap the new one off. The old one obviously has a cap welded on. The new one probably is designed to fit multiple models where one of the models actually uses the bottom port.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I went back to Nissan and questioned them to death! I think i grabbed the right one this time, it looks the one on the vehicle currently.

I know this Swirl Control Valve is a common problem, but there are no DIY write ups on any Nissan or Sentra forums, but there are a lot of people seeking help in the threads. Plus all the techs and service advisers are completely clueless on this issue also. I went to my dealers Nissan store, called 3 others and NO-ONE knew how to fix it, just know about the problem!

Fingers crossed this time it is the right part, just waiting on Nissan to ship the part to the dealer!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Good idea to bench test the old one to be sure its actually bad. You can connect power to it using jumpers from battery and blow through the hose. Or check it on the car using a piece of hose and cycle power on and off to see that it opens and closes as power to it snitches on and off. That way you'll be sure it was the component that failed. Moisture gets in those solenoid's and they corrode internally.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FIXED!

Finally fixed the Swirl Control Valve Solenoid!! I have pics for a DIY write up and obviously to help all that have this problem. I did a ton of research and asked 3 dealers, all they could tell me was there was a TSB for it but know one at any of the dealers knew how to fix it or how long it would take to diagnose!? Well, I will write a DIY on this and I think it should be a sticky because if you search for it there are no threads on hot to fix the issue, just a bunch of people asking how to fix it....

Also, I read in a couple other Nissan model forums that the SCVS can cause bad MPG, and false codes for the O2 sensors!! One thing I noticed after the fix is my low end RPM's feel a lot stronger and high end RPM feels smoother.

·
Registered
17 Posts
FIXED!

Finally fixed the Swirl Control Valve Solenoid!! I have pics for a DIY write up and obviously to help all that have this problem. I did a ton of research and asked 3 dealers, all they could tell me was there was a TSB for it but know one at any of the dealers knew how to fix it or how long it would take to diagnose!? Well, I will write a DIY on this and I think it should be a sticky because if you search for it there are no threads on hot to fix the issue, just a bunch of people asking how to fix it....

Also, I read in a couple other Nissan model forums that the SCVS can cause bad MPG, and false codes for the O2 sensors!! One thing I noticed after the fix is my low end RPM's feel a lot stronger and high end RPM feels smoother.
[/
did your check engine light came back on. The picture you posted,that is the emission purge valve solenoid

1 - 9 of 9 Posts