A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
BDSF
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over Labor Day weekend I had a chance to install TDMi's new rigid collar inserts on my car. The install was very straightforward, with only a few minor hiccups that I encountered during the process.

Steven was kind enough to include some detailed instructions along with the rigid collars :) Don't worry about translating, the picture has all the info you need to know.

First, jack the front end of the car up as high as you feel comfortable. Use jackstands, as you'll need to use the jack later on when the car is still off the ground.

The subframe is attached by 4 17mm nuts that you will be removing. You will also need to remove what the FSM refers to as the "rebound stopper", which is the triangular bracket that attaches to the subframe and chassis. It is held on by two 17mm bolts and one 17mm nut.

Rear subframe mount with rebound stopper:

Front subframe mount:

Tip: Put the car on jackstands so you can use your jack to take weight off the subframe nuts. I jacked up the subframe up slightly right by the control arm mounts to do this. If you don't, you will never remove the front subframe nuts, I couldn't even break them free with a 500lb/ft+ air impact wrench :facepalm:

Tip #2: I used an air impact for the front nuts, along with a 6" extension and swivel. You can probably break the nuts free with a 1/2" breaker or cheater bar for leverage, but I didn't have a chance to try.

Here are the rear and front mounts with the nuts removed:

My apologies as I forgot to take any pictures of the rest of the install :facepalm:

The rigid collar inserts are numbered as per the diagram posted above. Just slip the inserts onto the studs so the tapered end fills the gap around the subframe.

Don't worry if the subframe looks off-center of the studs, once you tighten down on the collars, they will force the subframe into place. For the rear mounts, tighten the collars down a bit BEFORE reinstalling the triangular bracket to make sure they fit into place properly. If you have any resistance, DON'T force it. Try loosening the other subrame nuts, whack the subrame with a hammer, and slowly try to tighten the collars into place.

Reinstall all subframe nuts and bolts as per the FSM:

Anone familiar with Subaru's knows the importance and benefits of the rear subframe locking kits offered by Whiteline/Perrin; I believe the TDMi kit provides many of the same benefits. Alignment settings should be more precise, and any movement of the subframe will be drastically reduced, if not eliminated, during hard cornering. Although I have yet to really put these to the test, I will say that launching does feel slightly more consistent; I'll be tracking the car soon and will update then. I also noticed that vibrations from my solid mounts were slightly reduced, but that could just be in my head.

It should also be noted that this won't (noticeably) throw off your alignment settings, at least as far as I can tell.

Definitely a worthy mod overall.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
After, I installed these. I brought to alignment shop, a local well known called Bee line did my alingment. I was recommend by a friend of mine because Bee line deals with a lot racing cars, my caster was perfect before and after. The only thing that threw me off was cambers and toes because my 5 lugs conversion lol and I adjusted my coilover bit..so I got it fixed..
The vibration, I could feel improvement, my car does less vibration now(I have ES solid mounts) Front does feel a lot solid and cornering much better.
btw thx for the write up.

Note, the collars will go up itself and fill up the gap after slowly tie down with nut :D

·
BDSF
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot to take pics of it installed, but it wasn't much to see. Here are a few Steven posted. There is no issue with exhaust clearance whatsoever.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Excellent I didn't realise there were available either. I'll be ordering a set with my rear hubs I think. Thanks to the OP for the pics and write up :)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Keep us up to date Steven, I'd like to fit these at the same time I put on my 2JR SuperPro LCAs so I can get the alignment done once :). Sooner the better! Thanks! :)

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Oh ok. from the first pic it look like thios was some new subframe connector but seeing stevens pictures its just a collar type washer for the bolts on the subframe. Very interesting, I'll keep an eye on these. I didnt realize they would have so much play in them.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
1 - 20 of 79 Posts