A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up some Tein Street basis coil overs from 2j who had best prices. When I opened the box everything was well packaged. The instructions were vague but the installation is straight forward and. I preassembled the coilovers with ease. I did run into a few installation issues that could have been avoided. I used a impact wrench, metric deep sockets and because I live in Nh I had to use a significant amount of pb blaster. Cutting torch and grinder. If you plan on using old mounts you will need a spring compressor. I started soaking the bolts a week earlier with pb blaster and repeated a few times. When I went to try and reuse the top front mounts I could not get the top nuts off the old struts and decided I would just replace the mounts. I could not find any local except a O'Reillys 20 miles away. When I went to install them one of the studs was too short due to the cross brace. I had to swap out the pressed in stud from the old mount. The flange had to be bent on old mount to clear the spring when I pounded it out. The stud worked but didn't press in tight. Pita! After the standard bs you go through on the bottom I adjusted the height to what it was with stock parts.
The back coilovers are all installed through the wheel well. The 2 top mount bolts cam out quick with impact wrench The bottom bolt is a royal pita probably because I live in Nh and road salt rust. The nut is held in by a slot that prevents any wrench from accessing it. I ended up cutting the nut off with torches. I read about all the tricks with screwdrivers, letting the rear beam hang..... NONE of these worked for me due to rust. I ran out of acetylene on the first side so I had to use grinder on the other side. The height adjusters were smooth and after a few tries I had it back to the stock coilovers height. I measured the location on the Tein and preset the other side to match. Done!
My recomdations
Pre soak bolts and nuts on old coilovers well before you begin
Buy new front mounts and make sure they have 1 longer stud.
Buy new lower rear bolts and nuts from Nissan prior to starting.
If you live in an area where bolts rust up solid prepare for cutting or grinding.
Always start with rear bottom bolts in case you can't get them off so you won't be stranded.
Measure ride height from bottom edge of wheel to fender opening before you start not to the ground! ( measuring to ground includes tire inflation factor)
Get an alignment when complete. If you keep the same height you may be able to get away without alignment.
Do not attempt to use ordinary bolts and nuts as replacements on any coilovers parts. Bolt failure can cause crash, injuries or possible death.
I posted this using phone and didn't have pics available. After I get to drive on them I can report back.
So far as a installation goes I am happy I bought them they look great too. Oh ya they give you a pair of stickers too. Make sure you take your time and install stickers on clean window.

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
nice write up can't wait to see the pics
i have wondered how these would compare to the old basics

great price on them too

Measure ride height from bottom edge of wheel to fender opening before you start not to the ground! ( measuring to ground includes tire inflation factor)

i would say measure from the fender to the axle center
drop a line straight thru the axle from the fender edge

this avoids the inflation factor

iirc should be 1.8" up front
and 1.6" rear

·
Registered
278 Posts
Great, thanks for sharing. I'm interested to see pictures and hear your driving impressions!

These coils seem like great value.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Double post

·
39,045 Posts
Congrats on your teins. Rear beam makes installation harder than it should be.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you get an alignment? If so, did they need to adjust the camber? Did you use camber kit?

Thanks for the post
Like yogi said I did not have to adjust camber. I did add camber bolts so when I had Alignment done it would be possible if needed. The toe definitely needed to be done I put it off and it really chewed through tires fast. The camber was off just the smallest amount in the rear and after install and lowering it hardly moved but it's in now. I must have 20k miles on them and they are great! If you do add camber bolts make sure you get good ones and use the proper torque recommended for the camber bolts you purchase. That's very very important!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Are the camber bolts for FF only or FF & RR? I didn't think there was any camber adjustment in the rear? Thanks for posting all the info. I am debating these and the BC. What was the final cost with the mounts, bolts and extra parts that you had to buy?

Thanks again
Eric

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
Eric are we talking about b15s here?
assuming we are

with the BCs no camber bolts are necessary
btw, they fit the front struts only

nor with the teins,

only toe in needs to be aligned

imo

put pic here later

no camber adjustment nor toe in change is possible
without bending the rear axle

the axle will move off center as you lower the car
keep it less than a 2" drop and you will never notice

there are a couple of ways to correct this
but
imo, only required for track work

later if you wish to add more -/+ camber

camber on the BCs can be adjusted, upfront,
they are slotted on one of the lower strut mounts, to accommodate this

the teins are not

no problem really
ran for years with a vq swap on tein basics

what adds to the cost of the teins imo
is the need to buy new top mounts front and rear

sometimes you can use your old ones
however i wouldn't recommend it

the BCs come with new mounts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you go with the new top strut mounts make sure you get the proper ones if you have a strut brace. Most places stock the standard non brace ones and the bolts are not the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I have a 2004 b15 spec v. The Teins seem like a solid option, but I do have the strut brace like Jon said below. Do the BCs work fine with the strut brace? I am definitely looking to drop more than 2". I am probably looking around 1.5" because it will be my daily driver when I get back to the states. I think that I am sold on the BC. It just has everything that is worth the money. The complete package. From everyone's comments, the Teins seem legit. I just want a complete solution not Frankenstein. Thanks for your help Jon and Yogi. Guess I will look for a good b15 spec v BC install thread now.

Eric

1 - 14 of 14 Posts