A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

Temperature gage

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Cuban Cigar 
#1 ·
Hi there,
I’m brand new to this forum and here is what I got going on with my 2006 Nissan Sentra, AT with 118,323 miles that I recently purchased used. I need help with the following - when I get into my car and start driving, my car will immediately show hot on the coolant temp gage in the car. Or I will drive it for approximately 30-40 minutes or so and eventually the temperature gage goes down to normal temperature range. When I get in the car drive some and it starts in the normal temperature range then goes hot for awhile and kicks down. What might be causing this?

I have No leaks that I can see, no engine error codes. I‘m trying to repair it myself. I just replaced the Coolant Temperature sensor, and today installed a new thermostat, I was going to drain the radiator tomorrow and put new antifreeze in the radiator. I was hoping to trouble shoot this as much as possible so I don’t have to make a whole bunch of useless trips to the Autoparts store, or spend any more hard earned money.

I drained the radiator and the reserve tank today. I put the heat on hot and I let the car run for over 15 mins. while squeezing both radiator hoses. The top hose was extremely hot, and the hose that comes off the thermostat housing was cool for the longest time. I kept squeezing both hoses, and eventually the bottom hose got hot. The fans would only kick on when I put the knob on 2 or 3 and kept kicking on until I turned the knob off. The fans would not kick on to cool the engine without turning the knob. Is that normal? How long will it take me to get the trapped air bubble out of the system, how do I get rid of the air from the system?

Thank you in advance for your help!

See less See more
#3 ·
Update on Temperature Gage.

I tried everything I knew to do, and change and to no avail I wasn’t successful. I had to take my car to a garage where they informed me the Instrument cluster panel needs to be rebuilt, and shipped to Massachusetts and it’s going to take about 2 weeks to complete. The kicker of all this is the price quote is 600 bucks with repair and labor. Is this price reasonable with a one year warranty on the instrument cluster rebuild?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.