A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
11B for 3 years, and would do it all over again. The Army is what you make of it plain and simple. Those telling you the pay/benefits suck fail to mention your housing is paid for if you are a single soldier, you have access to the dining facility (free meals), you have free medical and dental, if you are married on post housing is free, if you live off post you get BAH to cover household bills, not to mention the educational opportunities you have while you are in. Those that say the benefits suck obviously didn't utilize them to the full potential.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
11B for 3 years, and would do it all over again. The Army is what you make of it plain and simple. Those telling you the pay/benefits suck fail to mention your housing is paid for if you are a single soldier, you have access to the dining facility (free meals), you have free medical and dental, if you are married on post housing is free, if you live off post you get BAH to cover household bills, not to mention the educational opportunities you have while you are in. Those that say the benefits suck obviously didn't utilize them to the full potential.

I pretty much outlined all that in my previous post. I did 4 yrs as 11bang bang before I reclassed so I know that game too and that is NOT a game I would play again. Im just saying if you are gonna go in the army use it to the best of your ability and IMO 11bang bang is a waste of time if you are gonna use the army as an stepping stone.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Bah isnt that great though because renters/housing rates go up along with your pay raises. We all know chow hall food sucked dick but he's married so he won't have to worry about that. If you are e4 and below, post housing is shit....at least here at Campbell. If you enlist, shoot for choice of duty station and pick a nice post like Bragg or Carson.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
But I will say that the free medical and free dental is the best if you have a family. I've been out for a year now and even though I make good money and have insurance, I'm still feeling the doctor bills.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Bah isnt that great though because renters/housing rates go up along with your pay raises. We all know chow hall food sucked dick but he's married so he won't have to worry about that. If you are e4 and below, post housing is shit....at least here at Campbell. If you enlist, shoot for choice of duty station and pick a nice post like Bragg or Carson.

LOL I'm gonna have to say stay away from Bragg, Carson and Campbell, specially Bragg and Campbell, say away from Core and Division dudy stations. If you have to pick between bragg and campbell go with bragg cause campbell had to 101 of everything where as bragg only does 82 LOL.

But there is no other Division I would rather be with on a combat tour than the 101st! Air Assault!!!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
LOL I'm gonna have to say stay away from Bragg, Carson and Campbell, specially Bragg and Campbell, say away from Core and Division dudy stations. If you have to pick between bragg and campbell go with bragg cause campbell had to 101 of everything where as bragg only does 82 LOL.
True true......but in an aviation mos you are gonna go to an 18th airborne corp duty station.......that or Korea. I did all my time here at Campbell and the stupidity level is through the roof lol. Even as a civilian contractor here on post, I still have to deal with ridiculous 101st shit. But, the Army Times stated that out of all installations, Bragg had the highest morale. Better facilities, housing, training areas, airborne advantage and you're only an hour or so from the beach.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Carson is nice if you're single.....its expensive in Colorado Springs but your BAH is higher to cover the difference in cost of living. And......it is gorgeous there but being from socal, the altitude would probably kill him lol. He could always choose Hawaii.....or Germany.....I hear they're nice.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
True true......but in an aviation mos you are gonna go to an 18th airborne corp duty station.......that or Korea. I did all my time here at Campbell and the stupidity level is through the roof lol. Even as a civilian contractor here on post, I still have to deal with ridiculous 101st shit. But, the Army Times stated that out of all installations, Bragg had the highest morale. Better facilities, housing, training areas, airborne advantage and you're only an hour or so from the beach.

Braggs morale is high b/c in 2001 I had to build them tents to sleep in when they took over in the ghan, They had floors and everything, I didnt have that shit but had to build it for them WTF.

we had streams running through our tents.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
We put our shit on pallets and laid plywood over it. Ghetto as Hell and wobbly, but my gear stayed dry.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
I pretty much outlined all that in my previous post. I did 4 yrs as 11bang bang before I reclassed so I know that game too and that is NOT a game I would play again. Im just saying if you are gonna go in the army use it to the best of your ability and IMO 11bang bang is a waste of time if you are gonna use the army as an stepping stone.
Good for you. I wasn't aware I was asking for your opinion or a rebuttal to my post. Next time stay in your own lane.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Good for you. I wasn't aware I was asking for your opinion or a rebuttal to my post. Next time stay in your own lane.
Dude, there's no need to be defensive......we're just trying to help the gut out by giving him a broader view of the military.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Well when you make comments like:

Those telling you the pay/benefits suck fail to mention your housing is paid for
and

Those that say the benefits suck obviously didn't utilize them to the full potential.
You can only expect to have an opinion or rebuttal to your post since I clearly outlined that already in the post before yours. While I can appreciate the fact that you were/are an 11bang bang and enjoyed it, I was giving the dude my opinion, and since this is still a free country for now you will take it as such.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
I expect nothing from anyone other than the OP. He is the one that has to make the decision. You said what you wanted, I said what I wanted. I wasn't posting to get into a discussion with you.

OP, what has been said about combat arms pertaining too the real world is true. I went Infantry for personal reasons, but I also knew when I got out I would use the GI Bill to get my degree. So not only am I preparing for the civilian world by going to college, I was able to enjoy/hate everything that comes along with being an 11B.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
We put our shit on pallets and laid plywood over it. Ghetto as Hell and wobbly, but my gear stayed dry.

I was one of the first people that went to Afghanistan in 2002 and we didnt have shit there when we landed besides finding out the Marines were using the water source as a pisser. We had piss tubes, burnt our shit, wood did not come in for a while. Hot food, running water and wood came in about the same time I think.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
We bought our wood off the local economy.....in 2003 you could buy anything for $1 in Iraq. A case of that shitty whiskey would cost u $5........the last time I went over there the shit was $40 a bottle.......fucking inflation

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
We bought our wood off the local economy.....in 2003 you could buy anything for $1 in Iraq. A case of that shitty whiskey would cost u $5........the last time I went over there the shit was $40 a bottle.......fucking inflation

Yeah I know I use to go down to the computer store and get any software I wanted on a CD and as long as it would fit on a CD it was only a $1. I remember going to town and getting a chicken (whole chicken) 2 cokes, 3 slices of bread and veggies for $3. it was so good LOL.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Yea, but the BG's that most guys got wasn't very nice. The chicken never affected me because I drink Jack Daniels like water lol. I actually enjoyed eating the local food. The shawrma (sp?) was pretty good and the kabab was my favorite.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I threw up and had the shits the first time I ate local food but then I was good to go, I was not a big fan of the olives though they were big and did not taste good LOL. I miss the little rats that walk around with chi tea and 1 glass for the world to drink out of, it was good thought lol. We use to go to town daily so the brass could chit chat, it was fun until we started getting hit and shit so i decided it was best if I just chilled back at the crib.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts

What do you do for the army now as a contractor?

21 - 40 of 42 Posts