A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

thinking???

6K views 41 replies 13 participants last post by  JVSpecV 
#1 · (Edited)
im wanting to join the US ARMY what advice would u give??

M.O.S. 11BRAVO OR
91BRAVO

big difference but the 2 things i would love to do...

#2 ·
If you do be prepared to spend alot of time away from home. You will spend at least 3-6 months in basic and ait. Then you will have to move away to a duty station. Then you will probably be deployed for 9 months at least. So however long you sign up for just be prepared to not be in Cali for those years. It is a new life not a job. You will lose time to do things you used to be able to do. But if you are just starting out, the benefits are decent and its a good starting point in life. If you want to have somethin on your resume if you decide to get out go mechanic. I am in Afghanistan right now,I got 2 years down as a 25U Commo ninja. Actually hate it, but it pays the bills and I will be going to college after and I learned alot.:cool2:

#3 ·
I think its a good choice depending on your life circumstances. I joined about 2 months ago. I leave to basic on Jan 3 at Fort Sill then AIT for 52 weeks at Fort Sam Houston. Im 68K. I couldnt picture myself working in customer service on the telephon for the rest of my life. Needed some action.

#4 ·
I hope I don't sound too emo, but one of my closest friends stopped talking to me starting a couple weeks ago. We both spent the weekend in DC, but as soon we got to my place, he got out of my car and drove off in his without saying a single word. The Army has changed him so much, that all he would talk about was his life in the Army. I had another friend who was under suicide watch from several months ago. Haven't heard from him since.

If you do end up going into the Army, please do try to keep in touch with your close friends. I'm biased and despise the military forces for taking away my friends both physically and mentally.

#5 ·
its something everyone should experience but its definitly not for everyone i was in 4 years and got out about a year and a half ago you will learn alot and it will change u, its very stressful. u grow away from ur friends and family no matter how hard u try to keep in touch it wont last i guess i got what i wanted out of it but im sure glad to be done

#9 ·
thanks guys yea i have been to MEPS and talked to a lot of ppl already and i have friends over seas right now that i still talk to and they say they love/hate it but it all depends...but my fam thinks i should so just wanted to get some advice from so guys that are in and have been in..

#10 ·
if u kno how to read a nissan engine code qr - engine series, 25 - displacement, d - dohc, e - electronic fuel injection, r - supercharger. its not sc like some ppl think

#14 ·
I was in for 8 years, 4 guard, 4 active, 2 of my active years where over the big pond in the giant sand pit. The army was the best time of my life, the army was the worst part of my life. Its not for everyone. But if you get (you will get) deployed it will change your life!

#15 ·
Go aviation or medical........to make sure you have some sort of a background to fall back on when you get out......infantry may sound cool but the only job you can get after you get out is security/law enforcement. X ray techs make a boat load of money in the civilian world. I did 8 years and like everyone says, it was the best years and the worst years of my life. Thankfully, I was able to get a descent job when I got out. Just make sure to utilize l that the military has to offer....ie free college while you're in so you don't have to use your gi bill

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

#17 ·
Yes it's true that the Army is not for everyone. Don't believe everything you see in the movies either cause the real Army is not like that. I haven't been deployed yet myself, but I'm told that you will see some crazy stuff while over there. But at the same time you will hear some people say they don't do anything over there. 11B you will definitely do some crazy stuff. Just depends on your job. It's a great paying job with great benefits. If its what you really want to do then go for it. Just know what you will be getting into and that you will make a lot of sacrifices throughout your career. I'm 91B too. :D

I'm currently 1 year in the Guard and my father has 23 years active duty.

#20 · (Edited)
It's a great paying job with great benefits.
I am sorry but I completely disagree with this statement. It is far from a great paying job, it is a paying job at most. At most your will start off with is $1915 a month if you have a degree, $1730 if you bring someone in with you, $1645 if you blow your recruiter, on top of that since you are married with kids you will get BAH (prob about $500 a month and BAS (Prob about $300) a month.

I got out as an E-5 with 8 yrs in making a base sal. of $2800 + BAS + BAH = $3600/Month, I would be no means say this is great for 8 years on the job with 2 combat tours.

I was a 31F20B, Network Switching Systems Operator, and to be completely honest I had it pretty easy when people were not shooting at me. That being said, im not saying that the army and combat tours did not fuck up my head!

Now, with that being said, the Army is a GREAT tool if you know how to use it and learn the game and learn it quickly!

Like JVSpecV said, your job is key. If you have half a brain you will not go 11B or any other combat MOS's. Think about what you want to do when you get out unless you want to do 20 (that was my plan when I started).

If you have any questions feel free to post them here or you can PM me and I will answer them with complete honesty, I wont sugar coat shit, I wont make it sound like the army is bad I will only give you the truth as seen by my eyes.

With that being said:

Air Assault, Vox Aquilae, Voice of the Eagle

Even at E-5 I still did alot of elevated push ups LOL

Pay Grade Years of Service
Less than 2 Over 2 Over 3 Over 4 Over 6
E-9
E-8
E-7 2638 2879 2989 3135 3249
E-6 2281 2510 2621 2728 2840
E-5 2091 2230 2338 2448 2620
E-4 1915 2014 2123 2231 2326
E-3 1730 1839 1950 1950 1950
E-2 1645 1645 1645 1645 1645
E-1 1467 1467 1467 1467 1467
E-1 with less than 4 months of service 1357

#18 ·
you'd enjoy the hell out of it. Ive been in just over 4 years with 2 years left on my contract and plan on reenlisting. The pay is better than most jobs in the civilian side and the benefits are endless. Best decision ive ever made. and for infantry your basic training and ait is 14 weeks long which isnt bad at all. mine was 19 and it went by quick. good luck with your decision

#19 ·
thanks guys yea i think im going to do it i just need to look in to more jobs and see what would be the best for me and my life im 22 and i have 2 kids my son is 7 and my baby girl is 2 months so yea hard decision to make but in the end hopefully it will be the best decision for me....

THANKS GUYS..

#21 ·
11B for 3 years, and would do it all over again. The Army is what you make of it plain and simple. Those telling you the pay/benefits suck fail to mention your housing is paid for if you are a single soldier, you have access to the dining facility (free meals), you have free medical and dental, if you are married on post housing is free, if you live off post you get BAH to cover household bills, not to mention the educational opportunities you have while you are in. Those that say the benefits suck obviously didn't utilize them to the full potential.

#22 · (Edited)
I pretty much outlined all that in my previous post. I did 4 yrs as 11bang bang before I reclassed so I know that game too and that is NOT a game I would play again. Im just saying if you are gonna go in the army use it to the best of your ability and IMO 11bang bang is a waste of time if you are gonna use the army as an stepping stone.

#23 ·
Bah isnt that great though because renters/housing rates go up along with your pay raises. We all know chow hall food sucked dick but he's married so he won't have to worry about that. If you are e4 and below, post housing is shit....at least here at Campbell. If you enlist, shoot for choice of duty station and pick a nice post like Bragg or Carson.

#25 · (Edited)
LOL I'm gonna have to say stay away from Bragg, Carson and Campbell, specially Bragg and Campbell, say away from Core and Division dudy stations. If you have to pick between bragg and campbell go with bragg cause campbell had to 101 of everything where as bragg only does 82 LOL.

But there is no other Division I would rather be with on a combat tour than the 101st! Air Assault!!!

#27 ·
Carson is nice if you're single.....its expensive in Colorado Springs but your BAH is higher to cover the difference in cost of living. And......it is gorgeous there but being from socal, the altitude would probably kill him lol. He could always choose Hawaii.....or Germany.....I hear they're nice.

#34 ·
I was one of the first people that went to Afghanistan in 2002 and we didnt have shit there when we landed besides finding out the Marines were using the water source as a pisser. We had piss tubes, burnt our shit, wood did not come in for a while. Hot food, running water and wood came in about the same time I think.

#33 ·
I expect nothing from anyone other than the OP. He is the one that has to make the decision. You said what you wanted, I said what I wanted. I wasn't posting to get into a discussion with you.

OP, what has been said about combat arms pertaining too the real world is true. I went Infantry for personal reasons, but I also knew when I got out I would use the GI Bill to get my degree. So not only am I preparing for the civilian world by going to college, I was able to enjoy/hate everything that comes along with being an 11B.

#35 ·
We bought our wood off the local economy.....in 2003 you could buy anything for $1 in Iraq. A case of that shitty whiskey would cost u $5........the last time I went over there the shit was $40 a bottle.......fucking inflation

#37 ·
Yea, but the BG's that most guys got wasn't very nice. The chicken never affected me because I drink Jack Daniels like water lol. I actually enjoyed eating the local food. The shawrma (sp?) was pretty good and the kabab was my favorite.

#38 ·
I threw up and had the shits the first time I ate local food but then I was good to go, I was not a big fan of the olives though they were big and did not taste good LOL. I miss the little rats that walk around with chi tea and 1 glass for the world to drink out of, it was good thought lol. We use to go to town daily so the brass could chit chat, it was fun until we started getting hit and shit so i decided it was best if I just chilled back at the crib.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.