A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 SER Spec V 6 speed manual. Start up crank takes a little longer than usual but always starts, is that normal? Throttle pedal has a 1/2 inch dead space before it throttles up. when it does throttle up, it jumps up to 2000 rpm, and back down to 1000/1100 once I let off the pedal. When driving, and in gear, if I let off the gas it obviously slows down but when I push the pedal again is jerks. It's like the throttle is either idle or straight to 2000; no in-between. RPMs don't stop at 2000 if I keep throttling up tho. It's really bad at lower speeds and rpms, but the lag still happens at any speed. I hope that makes sence. Please HELP if you can. it doesn't feel good driving, and I assume it's not good for the car either.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any check engine codes? You try a basic tune up and throttle body cleaning followed by some relearns?
CPS code was the only one and I replaced it and didn't make a difference. also tried the relearning and none of them have done anything either. I put in new spark plugs, coils, and fluids.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CPS code was the only one and I replaced it and didn't make a difference. also tried the relearning and none of them have done anything either. I put in new spark plugs, coils, and fluids.
I've been hesitant to cleaning the throttle body. from what I've read, you can accidently screw up or ruin the TPS..

·
Registered
79 Posts
As long as you don’t put a lot of pressure on the butterfly valve with your finger and just have someone open it by putting it in gear with the key on a foot down on gas pedal it’ll be fine. If it’s dirty, I’d clean it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As long as you don’t put a lot of pressure on the butterfly valve with your finger and just have someone open it by putting it in gear with the key on a foot down on gas pedal it’ll be fine. If it’s dirty, I’d clean it
Okay, I'll have to take a look.
Did you replace the crank sensor with an OE part?
I got it from Oriellys. I got what the computer brought up. it looked the exact same as the one that was in there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This technique works with a manual trans correct?

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Orielleys usually has the correct sensors. The start up thing is due to a returnless fuel system. You can turn the key to the on position and wait a few seconds before starting to prime the fuel system.

·
Super Moderator
5,875 Posts
Sounds more like a throttle body or pedal issue... just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Tritton

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice!! I'll try cleaning throttle body and then the relearn procedures to see if it fixes the issue. figures crossed!

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
To kind of clear things up on this car and Altimas.. It doesnt mess up the tps portion but throws it out of spec, not from moving the plate but from cleaning out the dirt in the small clearance between blade and tb bore. That small change in space from dirt removal will likely require a tb relearn. There is a tsb on this that says to just avoid this or be prepared to relearn.

Agreed it sounds 100% like a throttle issue. What is CPS?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To kind of clear things up on this car and Altimas.. It doesnt mess up the tps portion but throws it out of spec, not from moving the plate but from cleaning out the dirt in the small clearance between blade and tb bore. That small change in space from dirt removal will likely require a tb relearn. There is a tsb on this that says to just avoid this or be prepared to relearn.

Agreed it sounds 100% like a throttle issue. What is CPS?
once the weather clears up, Im gonna take a look at the throttle body, and see if it needs cleaned. CPS- Crankshaft position sensor

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Lol oh my bad. That would be CKP sensor. Still seems like a tb issue or a gas pedal issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tthat's what I was thinking too but when I had it scanned for the ses it came up as CKP sensor, so I figured I'd start by replacing that first. Is there any relearn procedures that work to relearn new CKP sensor or do I need to get it done via scanner?

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
No relearn

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay, I too the throttle body off and it was filthy. I got it all cleaned up, and reinstalled. Before I cleaned it, it was steadily idling at 1000/1100 rpm. now its idling at 1500, but revs up to 1800 and back down on its own. I did the TB, and gas pedal relearn a few times but it didn't work. after it's daylight, I'll keep trying. there's no vacuum leaks, and the air filter isn't dirty. Is the higher idle, and fluctuating idle because I cleaned it, and it just needs to relearn?

·
Registered
430 Posts
You will need to do all 3 relearns ... Throttle released, throttle pressed and idle air. Just make sure you have no lights or aircon turned on and the engine and transmission warmed up to operating temp before you try the idle air relearn.
You will know the idle air relearn has worked because the revs will slowly drop until almost stall and then rise again to the correct value.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
The original problem is the type of issue you have to watch data and actually see what going on.

You have to relearn the tb on this car. Its a bitch.

Reactions: Compass and Tritton
1 - 20 of 21 Posts