A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Ive purchased my first Nissan. An 04 spec v about a month ago. It's at about 112k miles and it just started making this ticking noise. It happens at about 3000 rpm and cuts out at about 5000 rpm.

At first thought I was thinking it may be the intake valve clearances because the noise only happens when rpms are rising. However when I put a stethoscope to the valve cover while its running I can't hear the noise I can hear it coming from under the intake manifold. I've ordered a valve cover gasket to check clearances but,

I wanted to ask am I overlooking something more simplistic? Vvt solenoid, noisy injectors, loose timing chain.
I appreciate any input thank you all.

·
Registered
406 Posts
A ticking at those revs indicates its only under high load, which means a lot of exhaust gases. You have an exhaust leak. These cars are notorious for the second cat pipe rotting and leaking. And if it has a cheap aftermarket one, it will have a similar issue with gasket sealing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response, I will have to check the exhaust. The person who had it before me put a custom exhaust on it Medusa 4 into 1 header to a high flow cat than from there it switches from 2.5 to 3 with a side exit. I'm not to thrilled about it neither are my neighbors lol.

Is it possible there isn't enough back pressure in the exhaust?

·
Registered
406 Posts
You want to evacuate air as fast as possible from an engine, NA or boosted. This myth that you "need backpressure" is baseless IMO. Unless you have 2.5" runners (which you don't), it is next to impossible to get a net 0psi of exhaust flow pressure. In fact, exhaust leaks are typically heard BECAUSE you have back pressure. IF you have a cat on the car, that is what is helping cause a build up of pressure in the system to make the ticking get louder as you increase revs and load.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts