A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· The Watcher
7,446 Posts
Are you replacing all the timing components, if not timing can be set with out dying all of that and just pulling the cam gear cover?

Grey rtv and just use a scraper and worse case a razor blade at a shallow angle.

Power steering pump needs to be unbolted and let hang.

You will need something to support the motor, cross brace from the top or jack with wood block(s) from bottom.

Did we not link you the FSMs? If you search you will find the link to the compete nissan manuals.

Alternator could have stayed on the motor, doesn't interfere with the timing cover, same with the water pump.

Pull the spark plugs too.

I find it easier to remove and install the timing cover from under the car.

· One of One
2,025 Posts
Pulling the alt and water pump helped with removing the timing cover. You will need the bar holding the engine from above. Did you mean drivers side mount is still in?

When lining up the chain, do so with the new tensioner in, but the pin still in it. There's a dot on the bottom of the crank sprocket and the timing marks on the chains on the top from the FSM. When cracking the cam boys, don't be scared, they take alot of torque to get loose. Reassembly is cake, just take your time cleaning.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Are you replacing all the timing components, if not timing can be set with out dying all of that and just pulling the cam gear cover?

Grey rtv and just use a scraper and worse case a razor blade at a shallow angle.

Power steering pump needs to be unbolted and let hang.

You will need something to support the motor, cross brace from the top or jack with wood block(s) from bottom.

Did we not link you the FSMs? If you search you will find the link to the compete nissan manuals.

Alternator could have stayed on the motor, doesn't interfere with the timing cover, same with the water pump.

Pull the spark plugs too.

I find it easier to remove and install the timing cover from under the car.
Yessir I am replacing all the components
I've got a 3oz Aisin tube ready to go
I did order new crush washers for the ps hose that I'll scoop up tomorrow
I have a wood block underneath already & am going to get a 2nd jack & block on it as well
I'll double check for the manuals but I always buy one with a new used hoopty lol
Thanks for the heads up on the plugs I almost forgot about & working underneath hasn't been too bad either
Thanks CrickiKaze

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Pulling the alt and water pump helped with removing the timing cover. You will need the bar holding the engine from above. Did you mean drivers side mount is still in?

When lining up the chain, do so with the new tensioner in, but the pin still in it. There's a dot on the bottom of the crank sprocket and the timing marks on the chains on the top from the FSM. When cracking the cam boys, don't be scared, they take alot of torque to get loose. Reassembly is cake, just take your time cleaning.

I'm going to replace the water pump anyways & as far as the alt I didn't want to get to it later if I didn't have to especially since it's right there
Awesome I knew not to pull the pin but was afraid to just have it there while I did everything else
I need to get about 4 bottles of brakekleen from Walmart to leave it as nice as can be Cracking the cam or crank? My Milwaukee impact made short work of that crank bolt lol
Thanks for your advice Tritton

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Can I post pic's right from my phone?
Crankshaft is at tdc with bottom dot on orange link & top marks are as close as can be
Up top the intake cam is lined up with one yellow link & the same on the exhaust side notch on link
I haven't removed the balance shaft tensioner cover yet but I know there's another color link down there
I just want to make sure I can pop that off & continue with removing my 2 chains lol
I'm a scared 1st timer here with timing anything but I'm almost at the finish line
Also I want to replaced all the rubber o-rings on the old pump/front timing cover & there are no grooves to sit them in.What can I use to hold/stick them in place?
Again thanks for any help support & knowledge Guys & Gals (y)

· The Watcher
7,446 Posts
I have been having issues loading images on the site from my phone, might be my phone...

My opinion, don't focus on the chain markings, they "help" for others but the main focus is on the cam gear markings and them being in the right spots as well as cylinder 1's cam lobes position per the FSM. You should have a specific number of links between the cam gears but I would have to look what that number is.

When it comes to the balancer timing....we remove balancers around here (JWT BSR kit) or run with out the chain on...so you are on your own with that one, and the FSM.

Use grease or petroleum jelly for the o-rings

21 - 31 of 31 Posts