A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

Timing chain issue

8K views 44 replies 8 participants last post by  CrickiKaze 
#1 ·
So when I purchased this car for my Son it had a knock upon startup
I've always assumed it could be bearings or the timing chain tensioner most likely
One day it died on my Son & now it's only firing on 3 cylinders, cylinder 4 doesn't fire
I've replaced plugs, coils, injectors cam & crank sensors & intake manifold gasket
I brought a used ecm that did nothing & couldn't even be flashed I was told
I have a new timing chain kit as well as rod & main bearings which I don't think is the issue but the price wasn't too bad so I bit the bullet
I forget the codes that came up bc it's been a few months but they all revolved around the work I did
I'll get her back this weekend to mess with it once again but I really think my chain jumped or so
Any input would be greatly appreciated & if there are any Nissan Tech's in South Jersey please hit me up lol
Car only has 83,000 miles
2004 Nissan Sentra 2.5S
Thanks All

#34 ·
So as I was trying to take the exhaust camshaft wheel off to replace it, the cam turned to the left but did not go around
I'm hoping I didn't F anything up
Anyways I put everything back to TDC, installed the new chains & tensioners & will continue once I get 4 missing bolts for the oil pump/timing cover from the dealer by Wednesday
I will keep you all posted
Thanks Everyone

#37 ·
???
Not sure how that computes to doing something right, as long as the proper hardware is used i.e. pitch, length and grade, and in some cases the proper material with finish.

Was just letting you know so you didn't waste time and in some cases money. I've been running the hardware from the parts store fur some time on my timing cover and can gear cover for some time and they are the proper spec.

I don't think you did any damage to your valves from that slip.

#38 ·
???
Not sure how that computes to doing something right, as long as the proper hardware is used i.e. pitch, length and grade, and in some cases the proper material with finish.

Was just letting you know so you didn't waste time and in some cases money. I've been running the hardware from the parts store fur some time on my timing cover and can gear cover for some time and they are the proper spec.

I don't think you did any damage to your valves from that slip.
You’re absolutely right, hardware bolts would’ve worked perfectly but I didn’t have the bolts to match them up & they appear to be larger like maybe 14mm
I hope I didn’t damage anything but we’ll see once I get her all back together & cranked up

#40 ·
Ok so everything is back together but I forgot to mark my coils so I don't remember which ones are 2-4
Two of them are kinda taped together & one is by itself
I assume the wires going in the coil packs are colored differently
Also before I took it to the last mechanic she was firing on 3 cylinders & then I got it back & she would crank but not fire up. Now I got the same issue,crank but she won't turn over
I'm gonna pull the coils to see if they're shooting spark & also run a test light in my fuse box but what else should I possibly check?
Fuel pump is new as well
Thanks again everyone
The finish line is very close

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.