A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a little help. I changed the headgasket and lined the chain back up as it should be.

BEFORE:
20161012_125840.jpg

The problem is, there is some slack in between cams that wasn't there before. I know the tensioner works off of oil pressure but will it take that much slack out?

AFTER:
20161110_132710.jpg

·
Super Moderator
21,695 Posts
I need a little help. I changed the headgasket and lined up the chain back on the sprockets right.

BEFORE:
View attachment 103850

The problem is, there is some slack in between cams that wasn't there before. I know the tensioner works off of oil pressure but will it take that much slack out?

AFTER:
View attachment 103858
isnt your upper chain guide (plastic) facing the wrong way? shouldnt the two tab side be out? away from the engine?

Not positive, its been a while since I seen mine...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
isnt your upper chain guide (plastic) facing the wrong way? shouldnt the two tab side be out? away from the engine?

Not positive, its been a while since I seen mine...
I thought it was right. I did start the tear down 5 months ago so it could be wrong lol. The service manual isn't too detailed on the upper guide. I was going to start it up tomorrow but will look into this first. Thanks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm glad I posted here because I did have the upper chain guide in backwards :facepalm:. Thanks Shanover! I was rushing a job that shouldn't be rushed due to limited daylight.

I took the timing cover back off, turned the upper guide around and spun the crank. The chain did jump and I definitely would of lost the timing if I had started the engine like that.

I took the upper guide out to spin the crank back and forth a little to see if the tension would build on the lower guide. Sure enough, the plunger on the tensioner sprung out more taking the slack out. When I had initially installed the tensioner and released the pin, it was against the guide but it didn't fully pop out.

ALL GOOD NOW:
20161117_132721.jpg

THE CORRECT WAY TO INSTALL THE UPPER CHAIN GUIDE:
20161117_132835.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts