A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i have had my '03 spec v for about 6 months and the engine just broke down. I've done a bit of research and now know that the factory header can cause some problems, but is there anything else i can do to make sure this does not happen again?

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
lets see, aftermarket header, BSR Kit from JWT, regular scheduled maintenance and i believe you might be golden on keeping the QR healthy and strong :rambo:

·
Registered
815 Posts
What I do, and my SpecV doesn't burn a drop of oil, has perfect compression and perfect vacuum:

-Change header
-loctite butterfly screws
-cut balance shaft chain
-Run 0w20 for the first 120k miles.. and always drive the car really easy for the first 10 minutes... after that you can switch to 0w30 but always drive it very easy with a cold engine.
-Don't run synthetic past 7000 miles, 5000 miles if you are really hard on it, these engines like to destroy the oil ...and the bearings and timing chain don't like that.
-Change your coolant once a year with silicate-free coolant and make sure to use distilled water
-Every 6 months put 1/3 of a can of seafoam in the gas tank
-Change your PCV valve every 100k miles MAX, preferably 60k miles

An important tip, if you can... don't turn your heater on during the winter until the car is warmed up, it will take the car a lot longer to warm up.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
i wasnt aware bsr kit would be good for the health of the qr
I have seen at least 3 QR's that have seized because the balance shaft broke while the car was revving high. The BS rotates at double the RPM's, and I believe isn't made to handle more than 12,800rpms (that's 6400RPM on the tach).

In your owners manual there is a guide for maintenance, in addition the the BSR removal, Aftermarket header, and locktit butterfly screws, follow this schedule even if it sounds absurd, even earlier if you're like me. Lol. The only thing I don't do by the book is oil changes every 5-7k miles, but I pay for quality stuff every time.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I do header and butterfully.. take care of my spec since. No problems it all. Unless drive as grandpa lol...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts