A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remove the pump and run a 57.5" belt. I'll insert a pic of the package from the one I bought so there is no confusion:

·
Registered
903 Posts
People are talking about the power advantages of getting rid of the pulley based power steering system and other are saying that they wouldn't be able to park where they live comfortably without it. So i figured if you got a electric power steering pump you could enjoy the extra power and still have the comfort. I know you would probably nee a HP alternator, but you would get all of the advantages of not having the pulley on the engine yet still keep your comfort, if you don't mind spending the extra money on the HP alternator.

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
i assume there is alllot of work needed to fit a electric powersteering since the unit sits inside the car under the dash..

·
Registered
903 Posts
i assume there is alllot of work needed to fit a electric powersteering since the unit sits inside the car under the dash..
If you use a MR2's electro-hydrolic power streering pump it would be just like our power steering now but instead of running off of the engines pulley it's running off of your battery or alternator. I've seen a few posts of different cars that have tried it. I think it would be something worth looking into if you have a high output alternator.

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
For a non-power steering (EHPS) MR2 with a manual tranny, the alternator is rated at 70amps. For an automatic non-turbo MR2, the alternator is rated at 80amps. EHPS (Electrical-Hydraulic Power Steering) is run off of electrical, rather than hydraulic power, so any power steering cars are equipped with a 100amp alternator.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
parking spots in ny make this mod really hard to love
Muscle-up, buddy

What was the HP gain that you got from eliminating the Power Steering?
Never dyno'd, took it out when I was gonna do a VQ setup, then cancelled the swap. My PS pump bearings went bad anyway so I left it out.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I thought there aren't any gains on a dyno from this right? I thought if you don't turn the pump doesn't load up? I donno.

Some people say you feel more steering feedback with no PS. I donno. I won't try this until I put the SBC in.
:D

·
Premium Member
11,452 Posts
I thought there aren't any gains on a dyno from this right? I thought if you don't turn the pump doesn't load up? I donno.

Some people say you feel more steering feedback with no PS. I donno. I won't try this until I put the SBC in.
I would think running a smaller belt and bypassing the ps should have some gains. I do know the a/c delete doesn't give any gains, though.

I really enjoyed my old civic hatch with no ps exactly for the reason you mentioned, better steering feel. Not sure how I'd like it on the Spec, seeing as how it weighs a good 600lbs more.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i tried giving this mod a try but the belt didn't fit right. (too short)
i have a unorthodox crank pulley on it, is that the reason why it wont fit??

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

"SBC"? Please define, just wanna know cuz I keep thinking small block chevy. The pump still builds full pressure as long as the engine is running, when you are not turning it just bypasses most of the pressure back into the system

i tried giving this mod a try but the belt didn't fit right. (too short)
i have a unorthodox crank pulley on it, is that the reason why it wont fit??
I had a UR pulley on when I initially did this mod, like I said in the PM it was a bitch to install the belt. You might be able to loosen the AC compressor to get the belt to fit, then force the compressor back into place and bolt it in. I had no AC so a was able to move my eliminator around a little.

i wanna do this
First, turn your steering wheel lock to lock with the key in the "ACC" position, that's how hard it is to park the car. There were times I thought the steering wheel was going to turn me. Once you are rolling it's lovely, but on a wide tire or deep offset wheel it may not be so fun to drive. When I had my Works (+22 in the front) I couldn't hold the torque steer without using both hands on the wheel, and this was without the turbo installed. I eventually sold them to a 240sx guy.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts