A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
41 - 60 of 103 Posts
I'll probably do this, might be a PITA since I have low offset and big tires, but I don't live in a city.

I've daily driven an STI with no power steering, and it had 245mm wide sticky tires.

How do I unpressurize the system?

This may have a long term effect on the rack and pinion since it's not using oil to turn the assembly...yes the oil is to ease the turning motion...I personally hate having no power steering. Especially parking in summer this will cause you to sweat lol

I'll probably do this, might be a PITA since I have low offset and big tires, but I don't live in a city.

I've daily driven an STI with no power steering, and it had 245mm wide sticky tires.

How do I unpressurize the system?
There should be a valve body somewhere on the steering rack. All the fluid lines should run to it. Take it apart and gut the insides.

This may have a long term effect on the rack and pinion since it's not using oil to turn the assembly...yes the oil is to ease the turning motion...I personally hate having no power steering. Especially parking in summer this will cause you to sweat lol
Not true, grease lubes the rack. The power steering fluid is used only to pressurize the system. No fluid just means no pressure, not an un-lubricated steering rack.

So after you gut the valve, do you really need to fill it up with psf, or can you just seal the holes and call it good?

If fluid is needed, do you really need to change it every 3k miles like n of the integra posters mentioned?

So after you gut the valve, do you really need to fill it up with psf, or can you just seal the holes and call it good?

If fluid is needed, do you really need to change it every 3k miles like n of the integra posters mentioned?
All I did on my other car was re-install the threaded caps on the valve body to make sure no dirt or anything got in there. I wouldn't fill it with anything. Since there isn't anything to push or pull the fluid out, it has no use in there.

41 - 60 of 103 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.